First paddle

Manrock

Hi all,

I pick up my Manta Ray 12 tomorrow and I'm venturing out to Ladrum Bay, nr Exmouth, on Saturday morning, weather/sea permitting. A friend has an inflatable rib and has offered to be my 'rescue boat'!

I wondered if anyone fancied coming along for a paddle and a fish and maybe impart some expertise my way? Apparently there is no slipway/launch charge now, some small bass have been caught and there's lots of mackerel. Plus you get to see me fall off and flap about like a ****!

ChrisW - I have tried to contact you but the site won't let me! Be great if you could pop down and introduce yourself.

Cheers all

Steve

Love Ladram Bay, but now up on the north coast.

Charging a kayak is madness! , and the last time I was there they would still try it on! After paying for the campsites car park!! , they want more for the slip! What a Joke.

I tended to park in the town, and paddle to the stacks. , lure in tow!

I used to pull out good pollock here on the rubber eels. Paddle straight out from the stacks to deeper water with a red gill.

Good luck.

Hi all,

I pick up my Manta Ray 12 tomorrow and I'm venturing out to Ladrum Bay, nr Exmouth, on Saturday morning, weather/sea permitting. A friend has an inflatable rib and has offered to be my 'rescue boat'!

I wondered if anyone fancied coming along for a paddle and a fish and maybe impart some expertise my way? Apparently there is no slipway/launch charge now, some small bass have been caught and there's lots of mackerel. Plus you get to see me fall off and flap about like a ****!

ChrisW - I have tried to contact you but the site won't let me! Be great if you could pop down and introduce yourself.

Cheers all

Steve

Steve, is this your first kayak experience? If it is. I would strongly advise you not to try fishing until you are completely competent with your kayak, have practised deep water re-entry etc, and are paddle fit.

Fishing from a kayak is quite difficult even when you are used to it.

All the best, keep safe.

Apparently there is no slipway/launch charge now

They charged me when I fished fished there two weeks ago !. Its a privately owned beach but they only asked that I put a small donation into the RNLI collection box ( Which I was only too happy to do). They charge £2.00 to park all day for non residents - which again is very good value (i.e 85p an hour at Exmouth)

It seems a great venue - an easy trolley down from the car park to the not very steep slipway followed by a clamber over the pebble ridges - I only caught mackeral and a few dogfish but very enjoyable.

I would certainy be up another paddle there but I'm currently off work with a bad back and strict instructions no kayaking for at least 4 weeks, and just like you I have picked up a new kayak on Saturday - frustrating ! :schmoll:

Any good luck

Hi all,

Cheers all

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am working on saturday morning so cannot make it I am afraid...Sorry

ChrisW

Steve, is this your first kayak experience? If it is. I would strongly advise you not to try fishing until you are completely competent with your kayak, have practised deep water re-entry etc, and are paddle fit.

Fishing from a kayak is quite difficult even when you are used to it.

All the best, keep safe.

Thanks Mike - quite rightly I won't be fishing, I'll have too much to think about, but others may like to.

Cheers