new lure rod

jeepster

i'm in the market for a new lure rod to use with my abu 5501, 6 1/2 foot (ish) and for medium (ish) lures anyone got any ideas? i'd be interested to know what peter waller, budgie, fenboy and mark barret use...............

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeepster, I'm not one of the folks you mention but I have a ton of hours on various of these rods and I like them as well as any I've used including some that cost quite a lot more.

I use a round reel that is a very close size match to the 5500 (r-h version of your reel).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i wasn't trying to exclude you newt, i just forgot! i monly mentioned those i did because i know they do the type of fishing i want the rod for. anyones comments are welcome though

In reply to your question: no, I have a closed face baitcasting reel, with a trigger release on the back (you don't see many around, nowadays). The reel could sit in a crank-handled rod, and when I bought the Ugly Stik, I was offered either version. I chose the straight handle, because I've never had any trouble releasing the trigger, and I thought the crank handle might cut down my options.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Dave Lumb's rods are excellent and, for perfection hand jobbies, very fairly priced.

But being hand built doesn't nescessarily make them better than some of the production jobbies in my opinion though.

I don't share Pangolin's enthusiasm for the Ugly Stik, too soft in the tip for my taste. But Shakespeare sell millions of the things so they can't be all bad!

I don't have a favorite! Although I am having a love affair with the Toothy Critter 10 ft boat rod for lobbing out big old soft bodied shads at the moment.

If I lost all my rods tommorow and could only buy one to replace them, ummm, don't know. I have a 7'6" rod made up to use with a multiplier. It's based on the Brundall Angling RT5 that they sell as a fixed spool rod, as recommended by Charlie Bettell would you believe. But I know Simon who owns the shop and this was a one off special and I love it to bits. I believe Dave Lumb uses the same blank.

But if I had to have a production rod it would have to be a replacement for my Berkley Lightening LPC601MH 6' on an IM7 blank. Under £30.00 and blessed marvellous. Nice crisp casting action. As responsive as any lure rod that I've ever used, perfect handle configeration and excellent casting and playing abilities. To be honest I can't see why folk blow a ton or more on a rod when quality such as the Lightning is available for a third/quarter of the price. And it is endorsed by non other than Hank Parker, whoever he is!!

if its good enough for hank, its good enough for me! problem with these US rods is shipping for a rod is pretty expensive i think, the ones newt suggested on bass pro look great, and only $50 but shipping will add at least half again