new lure rod

jeepster

cheers peter, i just found their number, i'll be calling them in the morning, shall i say mr waller sent me? or will that result in them putting the phone down

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant add a great deal really all but one of my lure rods was built by myself on a variety of Fenwick and Lamiglass blanks.My Medium heavy Jerk Bait rod was built for me by Nick Buss and a fine tool it is.I dont own a rod by Dave Lumb but have used a couple of his rods and couldnt fault them.

Oh nearly forgot! whilst away working I brought a Ron Thompson Steel Head rod (had not got my lure gear with me and fancied doing some.didnt want to spend out a lot on some thing I allready had) must admit even though it was dirt cheap it was just as good for light-medium work as some of my own.

Crank handles may not be very fashionable these days but three of my rods have them on.I love them.Most people make the mistake of using the cranked handle off a "pistol grip" or single handed rod.Much better to get hold of an old ABU double handed rod and salvage the reel seat.Any of the old Atlantic range with the number code ending in "S" will do.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Pangolin:

... I have a closed face baitcasting reel, with a trigger release on the back (you don't see many around, nowadays). ....

LOL - it's still by far the largest selling reel style in the US as far as I know. Spincast reel.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello Jeepster. Forget the BassPro rods. They are 'one piece' rods. Great value at point of purchase but since they exceed both USPS and UPS standard maximum size, unless you are planning a special multi rod shipping order then the unit postage costs are going to be excessive (make that ridiculous)

Dont want to be too critical of someone elses choice but the Shakespeare Ugly Stik is too heavy, having too much glass in the blanks and whilst the Howald Process by which they are built provides for an indestructable rod, it also makes a rod that bends right through to the handle too easily, making it impossible to put real pressure on a big fish. The design is now about 25 years old and rod technology has come along way in that time.

Simon at BAC will indeed make you a RT5 with a multi grip but it will be a fairly long process and will likely cost you around £130-140. Besides at 7'6" its longer than you specified.

Peter's Berkely, sorry to say is nothing special and will leave you wanting a better rod before long. You largely get what you pay for. They are fine if you dont want to throw anything medium/heavy and thats the point that they run out of steam and I find them a little too soft around the mid section. Not saying they are rubbish, just saying that there's better out there. If you want a good allrounder that you can use for relatively small lures up to bulldawgs, then Dave Lumbs' Fooler fits the description. It isnt meant for very heavy lures and I know you specified a rod for medium lures, but if you want to thro' the occasional biggie then this rod will cope in a way that the others wont, thats why I use one and that why they are probably the most popular general purpose lure rod around. Ask this same question on the Lure section of the P&P forum and the overwhelming answer will be 'The Fooler' BTW whilst Dave probably uses Hardy blanks on some of his rods, the RT5 is not one of them

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll - forgot about shipping costs with the one piece rods (bass pro) because they certainly are. Thanks for that reminder.

Disagree about Ugly Stik's and the reasons you gave. But agree that they usually aren't good lure rods. Balance & action just isn't quite right. I have some I use for bait rods and like them well but not for repeated casting like you do with lures.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have an Ugly Stik Stand-up which Shakespeare laughingly rate as 50-80lb. In reality its the best 20lb class game rod I've ever used because it will bend and bend into a fish on 20lb line and 'kill' any sudden surges. For the same reason, I used their 15lb boat rods on pollack ie the thing that I generally dont like about them occasionally works in my favour. I've never rated the lure rods, but maybe thats because I expect a lure rod to to be fast enough to allow me to 'work' a lure rather than just simply reel it in. I also have Bass Pro rods (Spiral Graphite Jig'n Pig) which I keep for the odd guest on my boat. I did have a brief flirtation with Berkely Lightnings. Bought one on ebay for peanuts. My cousin still has it. Must be old stock Peter, Berkely dont make 'em any more.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

i called lathams about the berkley today, no joy. the fooler is the dave lumb rod i'd been looking at argyll. if i could have found a berkley for 30 quid, it would have worth a pop, always happy to find a bargain buti've got £100 - £150 to spend, so may as well spend it!

thanks for the advice everyone, i'll let you know how i get on.

Oh dear Gerry, we are going to fall out over this one. Dave Lumb does indeed offer a 7'6" spinning rod and, for the requiset readies,will, I'm sure, throw together a baitcasting version.

So my Berkely is nothing special! ********!! Have you honestly tried one Gerry? I've had my sweaty hand on the Fooler, excellent rod that it is, but I'm still more than happy with my Berkley Lightening, even after many hundreds of hours fishing with it. Afteral, nearly 50 years of lure fishing experience behind that judgement You surely know me well enough by now Gerry to know that I am pretty fussy about my tackle. If it isn't just right, it goes!