new lure rod

jeepster

the lightning did look good, and i do respect your advice peter, but they dont make em anymore!!

i'll try a few places over the next week or so, and keep an eye on ebay, then if all else fails, i'll come round and nick yours

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take my reply to Argyll too seriously Jeepster. We know each other quite well enough for serious wind-ups!! For a Londoner he is decidely okay. Other than about rods he does know what he's talking about, mostly!! He has a rampant Crunchy fettish so he can't be all bad. Starts a session and chain nibbles crunchies all day. We can always find his hot-spots by the trail of crunchy wrappers. If we are lucky we get the left overs.

[ 20. February 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Sorry everybody for the unseemly behaviour, I have the misfortune to have Peter as a mate. It gets worse. Charlie Bettell is also a mate. Now how did I manage that? Peter being in double glazing will try to sell you anything, us estate agents are far more honourable. :D

Yes I have tried the Berkely as I mentioned and passed it to my cousin Andrew who has a far less discerning eye for lure rods. If the worse comes to the worse he can always grow runner beans up it :D Its not bad but I've seen you with better !

Further to Dave's 7'6" rods I was always under the impression that the blanks for the RT5 are made only for Brundall Angling Centre. At least thats what BAC think ! But as Jeepster wanted a shorter rod its a moot point.

[ 20. February 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

When my modified was made up, if I remember rightly, BAC used North Weston Blanks. Shortley afterwards they changed blank supplier. I dare say that the blanks in question are made for BAC, 'cause they ordered them! But who else do they make 'em for?!! Cynical? Who, me? Never!!

Who is this Charlie Bettell bloke then?

i could be persuaded to go for a longer one if you two can stop abusing each other long enough to tell me why i should

i currently use a 6'6" abu rod, and find the length (or lack of it) a nice change after 9, 10 or 11 foot spinning rods, i get backache if i use a longer rod for a while. but 7'6" might be acceptable, if you can give me a good enough reason.... answers on a postcard please.....

Jeepster, I have used some old Abu baitcasters (7.5ft, 8.5ft, 9ft and 10ft) since the 1980s. I think they are called Conolons.

Other stuff I've bought recently include baitcasting rods from Harris Angling, Bas Pro and Cabela's.

Trouble is, I don't pay enough attention to what the rods are called. I like them if they do what I want them to do, but the stuff written on them tends to escape me. I'm not fishing tomorrow, so I'll dig them out of the shed and note down their names, etc, and reply tomorrow night.

You see, although I'm not a tackle snob, I'm definitely a tackle tart. Or perhaps it's senility creeping on... I often forget the names of some of my favourite lures.

Fenboy

My ever growing and much maligned collection of lure rods varies in length from 4'6" to 10'6". Most of which are rigged for multiplier use, which I find preferable for piking. There is no doubt that a shorter rod is great for casting and controlling a lure. Equelly there is no doubt that a longer rod is preferable for controlling a hooked fish, certainly playing a fish out on a longer rod is more e-fish-ient!! A short rod is less agro in a boat, and far easier to handle when landing a fish. Chinning a fish is certainly easier when using a shorter rod. There is no doubt that longer casts can be made with a longer rod. But then do you need to lob a lure into the next county? A shorter rod is certainly less tiring than a long rod for day long use. But then a longer rod is less tiring when a hooked fish is giving its all. With a short rod it might mean walking around the boat if the fish goes under bow or stern. With a longer rod it might be easier to pass the line round back or front as the fish goes under the boat. Seven feet long is a bit near six feet, which can be a bit short. Eight feet is a bit near nine feet which can be a bit long. Both Dave Lumb and Brundall Angling Centre produce a rod of 7'6", Q.E.D., it must be a good compromise. Although, strangely enough, both sell them as spinning rods in their standard form!

Psst, if you want a really good light baitcasting rod then ask Argyll about his Pete Wadeson canal special from Dave Lumb. That is quality! But don't let him palm you off with his surplus reels.

Jeepster I cant truly give you a good general reason to go for the longer rod, its what you are comfortable with that counts. It does for me however have a very specific purpose when used for what our cousins in the US refer to as 'flipping'. That is to say underarm short range flicking of a lure into cover (at least I think thats what it more or less means. Newt will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong) I use it with a fixed spool reel for fishing from a moving boat almost under the rod tip into bankside vegetation. Far more efficient with a FS reel and that's coming from a self confessed multiplier tart. I was taught the value of doing that on the Yare by an expert, who convinced me that pike don't spook as easily as we think and when passing boats are a regular occurance, even big predators take no notice. The same trick works for me on the Thames too with a nine footer. I find the RT5 almost perfect for that, the extra length giving a bit of advantage at close range and its a deceptively powerful rod if you need to move a big fish out of deep cover quickly. Its also a good long range rod too but I find a shorter rod on open water to be no disadvantage and easier to handle all day.

Peter 50 years of lure fishing....hahahahaha

Time to change that catgut I think!

[ 20. February 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Caught my first lure caught pike when I was nine, so I'm a liar by one year!! Whats it like to be old Gerry :confused:

I know Charlie is a great fan of fixed spools Gerry but I reckon that the control in casting with a multiplier when 'flipping' is a real advantage. The other plus is that you can really cast a lure quite violently when flipping with a multi. The advantage of that being that the lure really smacks down hard into the water when the cast is curtailed and that can get the old girls quite excited, or the lure can smash into the reeds which can be devastatingly effective. Smacking a weedless ABU Atom into the margins is a real catcher. Different ships, different hat bands but I know which I'd rather use.

P.S. I am not in anyway opposed to fixed spool use. There is sometimes a very real advantage in being able to delicately drop lures into potential pike lairs and without doubt a good fixed spool has the edge in such presentation.

[ 21. February 2004, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]