line strength

ali123

wondering what lines people use for there fishing, and what i would be best to use. I.e. for float fishing, feeder fishing for tench bream perch and the odd carp, few lbs upto maybe 10lbs and what bs hooklink people use? any recomendations? ali

Ask ten people and you will get ten differant answers, its a personal thing with line, people tend to stick to what they know and trust.

i use preston direct mono for all my coarse fishing. great stuff.

Ask ten people and you will get ten differant answers, its a personal thing with line, people tend to stick to what they know and trust.

i use preston direct mono for all my coarse fishing. great stuff.

Guru drag line mono for reel :)

3lb Ultima - 6lb Sensor for float mainline....lighter hooklenths to suit the location/species.

6lb Drennan Feeder braid with lighter hooklengths for just about everything.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

i use Tango 4lb (orange in colour) very good mono i love it, and i use for my 2 6lb lines i use Redi and camo i got them free with angling times years ago..

but they do the job, but i do prefure my Tango mono, shame they stopped it.

oh if your not going for big fish i would stick to 8lb line max, this is how i used to fish before i got hooked on cats and carp. large cats and carp :)

Edited by dean in devon

A tricky one, as mentioned people tend to do different things. I'm trying to spool and refill a couple of reels and finding the price of line a bit expensive, but as i have learnt and been told fishing line is one of those things you can't skimp on, along with hooks and hooklengths.

If its any help i have three reels currently, one shimano reel has 4lb line which i generally use for ledgering for perch and chub, river fishing and general float fishing. When float fishing i tend to use lighter hooklengths of about 2lb when fishing for roach and smaller fish.

I also have a reel with 6lb line which i use for carp fishing, normally with a 5lb hooklength or occasionally straight through to the hook.

And my newest reel to my collection hasn't been spooled yet, but i'm looking to get some 2/2.5lb line for light float fishing for roach and perch and smaller fish so i dont need to use hooklengths.

With hooklengths i always go for drennan (Silverfish/maggot) which are very good quality, and carp bandits which are pretty good too.

Maxima chameleon is fairly cheap and good quality, it's where i would start.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

For feeder fishing (Carp up to 20lb) I use 10lb Mainline and 8lb hooklength.

Float fishing is more the 6lb straight through mark for me. :)

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Prologic XLNT 8lb...its an ultra fine mono so i use it straight through regardless of where im fishing and what style.

if the waters rules require it then ill drop to a drennan float line for a hooklength of maybe 4 or 5lb