What would you pay?

SpecimenSean

like i put above with the quote, it seems under fed, when i used to give advice on fish keeping a few years ago i used to say do'nt over feed.. but this sounds like they are underfed.. also how many fish are in the lake and how big is the lake exactly.. 10 fish can clear 20ft with in minutes.. specially if they have not eaten in a few days. if anyone owns a pond or a tank don't feed your fish for 3days feed them today and see how they are, yes they move quickly (don't do this on goldfish.. no point they can't move fast due to the factor of they are fancie fish) do this to groups of fish ie terta's guppys anything that lives in shoals, same goes for marine fish if you have damsels don't feed for 3 days then use bloodworm.. you will notice how fast they move, this goes for the same as a lake, thi guy should also take pics of this place for us to see, my specialty is fish. and i say use boilies as it's what i use but you don't need to use boilies as i use these as a refrence. you coulkd use dog turd and they will eat it..

My speciality is not fish, but have kept a wide variety of freshwater fish and know more about fish keeping then I do about fishing.

I see no reason why they might be underfed. I have been a keen fish keeper all my life maybe that's why I enjoy seeing and catching oddities/ornamentals more then some anglers. Fish do not require the great amounts of food we like to feed them but like humans presented with plenty of stuff they like they may well stuff themselves to bursting point, but they don't need it.

The behavour you notice with shoal fish is natural and not caused because they are starving, Tank fish will often dart at great speed to the food, but often they will spit it out and ignore it and another fish may come along and pick it up. If they were hungry they would eat it no matter what, but if your feeding bloodworm (High gourmat five star food) they will go a little crazy and stuff themselves, not out of hunger but because it is so good.

Most fish keepers will tell you about there fish that never feed, they are in all tanks and ponds a fish that never seems to eat much if anything but is healthy, fish need very little to get by. Lots of pond owners never feed there fish, but they thrive and grow and breed. Its us who seem to want them to stuff themselves to bursting point so we can get a few more pounds on our PB's.

If you like using plenty of bait, that's fine but don't think that the fish need it. They don't and if a fishery relies on the anglers baits to sustain the fish then there is something seriously wrong with it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to agree being an avid fishkeeper myself. No need to feed. It would be best regardless as that way the water will not be overstocked as such. A natural water will find its balance within 5 years without external help. 30 years will have made a well balanced ecosystem.

Small suggestion, when you do fish, I'd recommend minimal baiting to ensure the balance isn't radically upset and that will help maintain the water quality too, ensuring natural food will still be prevalent.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I'd have to agree being an avid fishkeeper myself. No need to feed. It would be best regardless as that way the water will not be overstocked as such. A natural water will find its balance within 5 years without external help. 30 years will have made a well balanced ecosystem.

Small suggestion, when you do fish, I'd recommend minimal baiting to ensure the balance isn't radically upset and that will help maintain the water quality too, ensuring natural food will still be prevalent.

Renrag

I would agree completely here. Plus you will have to come up with other rules to ensure the health of your pond continues. Using boilies seems to be an immediate first choice of many carp anglers but on such a small place you have to bear in mind how long a boilie will last underwater when not eaten. You can do a lot of damage to water quality over time if they continue to be thrown in. I would stick with natural baits to be honest and keep an eye out for anything dodgy such as using a heap of PVA.

As many people have said for the fish to still be there after so long they must have found a nice NATURAL balance and the last thing you want to do is upset that.

I also agree with the suggestion that you should limit yourself to small numbers. Angling pressure can have a profound effect on fish health, water health and catch rates so to continue to enjoy this place you must find a happy medium. In reality it all comes down to that. Finding a healthy balance between yourselves and the fish.

I hope it goes well for you and you put as much thought into it as you say will it could turn into a lovely little place for you to enjoy.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I know this may be going too far but also try to get whoever fishes there to be honest about tackle losses. This will enable occasional removal from immovable snags or removal of the snags themselves if possible.

Its a pet peeve of mine and I hate the idea of some random root becoming a fish graveyard because of snagged line and unbaited hooks embedding themselves in fish. Its the whole reasoning behind my dive scenario really.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

yea im hoping that if i keep the numbers limited and make sure everyone is only 1 degree of seperation from myself then i can manage it much easier. Im also toying with the idea of limiting the number who can fish in a day and that you have to give me a call when your going down to book on/let me know. I wont however be being lenient with rule breakers just because i know them. Im going to take very good care of this place and i'd like to think the people who i invite to join me will do the same. If you dont respect the place or what im trying to do they'll be off, but im not gona go gettin medieval on anyone!

Yes, there is absoloutley no need to feed the fish, they have been there for a long time. Before we fished it the other week the farmer was saying he hadnt seen anyone since last summer, so there not feeding on free offerings, its all natural. The pond is fed by a natural stream so it always has fresh oxygentated water pumping into and trickling out of the other side.

@Renrag, ive dug out an old reverse periscope so i can look under the water as well the wetsuit an mask! :D

@Dean, i will get some pictures but not until everything has been finalised, i dont want someone recognising it and poaching it from! :D

Edited by SpecimenSean

gone

Ickle stream? Must've missed that bit. Is it big enough for the fish to come and go as they please? Is it a mere trickle or a more substantial flow. Just out of interest.

Renrag

Ickle stream? Must've missed that bit. Is it big enough for the fish to come and go as they please? Is it a mere trickle or a more substantial flow. Just out of interest.

Renrag

no its a trickle really only a few inches deep. There was a mention of small brook trout in the past but these were on the otherside where it flows out which again is nowhere near big enough for anything over a few ounce to get through.

gone

I sit on a committee of one angling club (260 members) with three pools and a stock pond on a private estate.

I also baliff and have close links with the management of another club that rents two waters off a farmer but has to share the waters with day ticket anglers.

For the size of water you are describing already stocked you are looking to pay anywhere between 500 - 1000 pounds rent a year.

To run any type of club/syndicte where payment is involved:

You will need a legal lease outlining access, parking, numbers of anglers/day tickets, who owns the fish, maintenance etc

You will need public liability insurance, a soliciter, a bank account and an accountant.

The water will need safe paths, stable swims, lifebouys and deepwater signs (plus anything else your insurance policy stipulates).

So for the first year you have spent at lest two grand and will need at least 100 anglers paying 20 quid a year to break even or sell at least one day ticket at a fiver a day.

If you have a fish kill you will have to restock - at todays prices you dont get many fish for your money and your members need fish to catch.

In all honesty you would be better doing a deal such as you and your mates give the farmer a fiver everytime you fish - the farmer id then liable.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I sit on a committee of one angling club (260 members) with three pools and a stock pond on a private estate.

I also baliff and have close links with the management of another club that rents two waters off a farmer but has to share the waters with day ticket anglers.

For the size of water you are describing already stocked you are looking to pay anywhere between 500 - 1000 pounds rent a year.

To run any type of club/syndicte where payment is involved:

You will need a legal lease outlining access, parking, numbers of anglers/day tickets, who owns the fish, maintenance etc

You will need public liability insurance, a soliciter, a bank account and an accountant.

The water will need safe paths, stable swims, lifebouys and deepwater signs (plus anything else your insurance policy stipulates).

So for the first year you have spent at lest two grand and will need at least 100 anglers paying 20 quid a year to break even or sell at least one day ticket at a fiver a day.

If you have a fish kill you will have to restock - at todays prices you dont get many fish for your money and your members need fish to catch.

In all honesty you would be better doing a deal such as you and your mates give the farmer a fiver everytime you fish - the farmer id then liable.

+1 this is what i was trying to say this is it here!!! from my pot before the boilies.

the question to my boilies are:

Semolina

Ground Rice

Soya Flour or you can use oat bran

just cheap items like this, and it's all natual.

+1 this is what i was trying to say this is it here!!! from my pot before the boilies.

the question to my boilies are:

Semolina

Ground Rice

Soya Flour or you can use oat bran

just cheap items like this, and it's all natual.

High Carbohydrate baits (especially Semo based ones) are great fish catchers simply because they are great flavour carriers.In fact nigh on the perfect base for what we used to describe as "crap baits" The name "crap" came from the fact that they have a very poor nutritional value.....................................don't think I really say anymore?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!