What would you pay?

SpecimenSean

If you want to tailor the lake itself to you and your friends requirements RE:Snags/Fish Holding areas, I strongly suggest the following...

Wetsuit inc hard sole booties.

Mask and Snorkel.

Small saw.

WP torch/lamp.

No better way to get in tune with your new water than getting up close and personal with it and its residents. You have the opportunity to do just this and I would use it if I could.

Bring the whole family, will be great entertainment for them too!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hay hay, if i be honest mate sounds like you just pluckin at straws to find a "get rich quick" scheame,

That's a bit unfair Dean.I think its quite obvious that Sean has simply cone across an opportunity to "live the dream".Most anglers dream of having their own water (even though in reality it often turns out to be more of a nightmare!) and to me this comes across quite clearly as Sean's motivation.

However "dreams" need financing and he is simply looking at the various options to do this.

Ive been involved in several types of water and can tell you all that getting the finances right is probably the number one key to having "your own water" because no matter if its a world record carp lake,an exclusive syndicate,a day ticket water or just your own private pond if you don't get the money right it will soon be some one else's water!

I didn't really want to go into masses of detail as Ive allways found its best for someone to "find their own way" After all you need to be sure in your mind what "you" want before setting out on such a venture. Sean seems to have all ready got half way there (and I personally think,without having first hand experience of the venue,made the right one) by deciding on the "friends" option.

He has also done (IMO) the right thing by getting a few books to start learning about the various aspects. I allways say that getting professional advice is a wise choice (as is Rods recommendation for getting everything drawn up legally) but in the case of a "friends" water you can skip on this a bit. The only need for either is if you plan any long term involvement or financial investment in the water.

One piece of advice Ive learned is that no matter which way you go (ie casual or long term) then make one thing clear straight away to anyone who pays to fish there- you are the boss! no committees,no one telling you what to do or anyone you have to consult over decisions! Makes life so much easier. They simply pay and fish.Even friends.

Lots of other little things about dealing with the land owner as well! but I wont go into those on an open forum.

Running fisheries/fishery management/having your own water can be "the dream" but make no mistake its bleedin hard work and a lot of grief.Often even just the "relationship" that you build up with such a water and its inhabitants actually stops you (the person who has put in all the hard work) actually wanting to fish there! But fish it or not it can be extremely rewarding.

If I can help (for free!) on any related issues Sean just PM or email me.

Lastly for Dean, you have obviously had a very narrow view of fisheries in general.I kind of guessed this from the waters you have told us about and we have seen in your reports. There are a few "good water" that are run by "good managers" that make good money and a lot more that are absolute sh1te holes that make dough (but for a limited period) but I promise you there are far easier/better "rich quick" schemes than running a fishery!.

Come Summer Sean and Dean get your arse up to Kent and I will take you around a few different types of water (not only in Kent) and show you both extremes! (plus its a good excuse to go fishing!) Getting your name down for the AN Fish in at Wingham would be a good starting point.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Speci, I think the water sounds great and if i lived a little nearer I'd be interested in joining your syndicate myself. If it was cheap enough I'd keep it for yourself and maybe a few m8's...good luck !

Come Summer Sean get your arse up to Kent and I will take you around a few different types of water (not only in Kent) and show you both extremes! (plus its a good excuse to go fishing!) Getting your name down for the AN Fish in at Wingham would be a good starting point.

I will most definetly be seeing you in the summer then, thanks for the invite and thanks for the all the advice, its bloody brilliant and most welcome. Thanks to everyone for really, REALLY getting me excited about this, love the encouragement! Cheers

@Tigger im sure we could sort something out in the future!

gone

haha i was just typing my rebuttle to it as well! I thought you were referring to my assault on my local club! :D

you ever get down to Norfolk and fancy a day on our lake then let me know!

we think its a nice place to fish, and alot of club members agree! as do the holiday makers! The farmer who owns the land has hired cottages as well, the holiday makers get to fish the lake for free if they are in the cottages...the club get the lake for a pittance because we bailiff and control it and also build all the swims/platforms etc!! its a win win!

i know they are not everyones cup of tea...but if done right and looked after corectly they can provide alot of pleasure!

haha i was just typing my rebuttle to it as well! I thought you were referring to my assault on my local club! :D

hehehe... a quick bit of Toad brain dysfunction...I read "assault on my local club" and it instantly triggered the thought...only a few days to go but time for a quick assault on the local Chub and maybe the Roach.

So that's me fixed up for the next few days...anyone needs a Toad you'll find me fishing the Suffolk Stour no matter what the water nor the weather is doing.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Got a mental image of you all dug in, fishing from a foxhole next to a mortar tube 'just in case'.....

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

maybe to you, but plenty of people like fishing easy waters.

I like going sitting for 4 days on the bank to pull one or two BIG fish out. Spending half a day with the marker float, mapping out the bottom, deciding on the best rig for the job, thinking hard about bait choice, boilie and glug combo, stringer or stick mix, watching the water never taking my eyes off it and never closing the bivvy door all to be rewarding with large beautiful carp.

On other days though i like sitting on a pond with minimal float gear catching fish after fish and having fun. (think match anglers, they cant get enough and you cant argue that).

And like ive said, twice. Even though this water is easy you still need to know how to fish. I remember fishing a feeding shoal of mackerel. You could just run a bare hook through them and catch, For 10 minutes it was fun.....this isnt like that. Ive caught some big fish in this country and without sounding like a prick, i really do know what im doing when it comes to carp (fishing). Ive fished some very hard waters (i live up north for fook sake there all hard! :D) and had some very nice fish, but for a change i like fishing like this sometimes. And i know a lot of people who feel the same.

I have no doubt that there are lots of people who want to fish like that, just as there are those who enjoy fast food, wear sportwear when they don't participate in sport, read rubbishy tabloids etc....puttin' fish in a place like that to be hauled out and returned over and over is just torment.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"