Countryside alliance , THE MARCH

david platt

Den,

I admire everyone that marched for civil rights, but! if that is truly what they where there for?, then they should march for whatever situation brings civil rights under threat.

Not just the corner that they are personally involved in.

If it ever comes about, that fishing becomes under the threat of a ban.

I will not support a pro fishing campaign, even though I fish.

I will support a campaign for civil rights.

The big picture.

.........Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Den, the question was asked before the march by a number of commentators, would those who asked us to march for them be prepared to march for us? Your straw poll has answered the question as most of us thought it would.

I'm guessing that you feel strongly that angling has allienated itself from from future support from the vast majority of CA supporters. And in doing that has thus shot itself in the foot. Fair comment to the first bit, not so sure about the conclusion though! It is a valid point, but does it matter?

In turn I would suggest that anglers are simply anglers, we have never been seen as part of the great hunting / countryside fraternity by the CA grass roots majority.

The Civil Rights agenda has been raised by others. In this case the right to choose arguement holds no water whatsoever. Should we retain the right to fish the rivers with a trawl net for bream, or use night lines for salmon? Should we retain the right to drink ourselves silly and then drive a car? No, ofcourse not. A 'right' has to be seen to be reasonable.

[ 23. September 2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

TeAl:

I don't hunt but I'll defend the right for others to do it.

I don't bait badgers or go to cockfights.

I won't 'defend the rights' of others to do those things, because they're entertainment which require cruelty. Same as foxhunting with hounds.

Arguments about defending 'traditional pursuits' are bogus. It used to be 'traditional' to burn witches and send 10 year old kids down mines.

Society grows up, things change.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Glenn,

Badgers, bulls and cocks for pit fighting are either trapped or bred for it and then put into an enclosed environment from which there is no escape other than through death.

You are right, society grows up, but a fox hunt and badger baiting are simply not comparable.

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Peter,

Civil rights are not about doing anything that you want, but being able to do what you want (as long as it does not take away the rights of others), as in the examples that you used in your argument against them.

What is reasonable?. Is it the same thing for everyone?.

You can not reason one thing is OK for some one minute, but not for someone else the next.

........Liam.

Barbelangler.co.uk

quote:

One very disturbing factor emerged in my talks with other marchers was that NONE, would be prepared to march for Angling....."they won't support us, so why should we support them"

So the anglers that did turn out to show support have wasted their time & had the backs of the hunting fraternity tuned on them.

I've already told of the "conversation" i had in the garage with a member of the CA, to me the above statement proves the point.

As i've said before go into a pub & ask a few people in there what the CA is all about, most if not all those you ask will say the same thing "fox hunting" & thats because they'd never been heard of untill the ban on fox hunting was first proposed.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

GennB,

"I don't bait badgers or go to cockfights.

I won't 'defend the rights' of others to do those things, because they're entertainment which require cruelty. Same as foxhunting with hounds."

I take it that you do not support the cruel sport of fishing like the rest of us then?

Because the argument that you are presenting now will be just as valid an argument against fishing when the time comes.

Liam.

Barbelangler.co.uk

I arranged to go fly fishing with two mates yesterday at Coniston Cold near Skipton. Coniston Hall is owned by Mr. Bannister of Boundary Mills fame who, apparently, was attending the march in London. One of my mates arrived late and paid for his fishing at the hotel when Cherie Blair walks past him and goes into the lobby. Strange that, they had just had a country type event over the last few days with lots of brand new Land Rovers being put through their paces. Is this coincedence, hypocrisy or a P.R. exercise to let the Craven and Pendle people know that their pastimes are safe??

Paul

mpbdsnu:

............as suspected, and predicted by quite a few on here!!!    :mad:

I might be nieve but why are foxes considered a pest to modern day farmers?

I understand wood pigeons (en Mass) can consume large amounts of crop seeds and therefore be considered worthy of the term pest. But exactly what is it that the fox does to merit being tarred with this tag. Surely the small number of animal livestock taken by foxes is more than made up for by the rabbits they kill and therefore stop them eating crops.

I'm sure some body out there will have all the fact and figures (with proof!!!)about how much damage Mr Fox does so please enlighten me so that I can try to understand the need to control their numbers. I will never agree with hunting them with hounds but if culling (humanely)is required for valid reason then I would like to hear why.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.