ANGLING UNITY, IS IT POSSIBLE ?

Guest STEVE POPE

Guest Alan Pearce

If people like Peter Waller got a bit more involved instead of standing on the outside throwing stones many of the problems facing angling would be easier and quicker to resolve. Come on Peter you've got a brain why not start using it instead of wasting time making silly comments not just on this forum but in the popular angling press. How about coming to the next SACG meeting so that you can see first hand what is really going on, maybe even lend a hand eh?

Alan.

Just a few comments on the recent chat.

If Steve Randall has accurately reported Keith Arther's comment (Tight Lines/Sky TV) that sea anglers can't do anything about trawlers fishing too close to the shore because they don't buy a rod Licence, I can only say - PISH!!!

Our salty friends can actively campaign against the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) through their MPs and direct to Government or it's Ministries as some enlightened soles are already doing.

The fact of the matter is that any lack of progress has nothing to do with a rod licence but, in my opinion, can be directly attributable to the corrupt system operated by our European cousins.

I belief that this problem is compounded by a lack of action by all governments since Edward Heath gave the fisheries away in the early seventies.

It is important to remember that the quota system, which results in up to 50% discards and bycatch is the politicians answer to the management of our offshore fisheries. This important natural resource has no longer anything to do with conservation or environment - it's just become another political pawn. Anglers are the only group that can break this strangle hold providing we have the political will to challenge this obscenity.

On the keepnet thing I would point out that scientific research clearly shows that:

a)There is no significant change in water quality whether one or fifty fish are retained.

b)There is no significant increase of stress levels in fish captured by rod and line and held in keepnets.

Providing keepnets are used correctly there isn't a problem. Angling's main focus should be in promoting the NFA and SACG codes of practice.

I think it is wastefull and destuctive to openly bicker over this issue.

Regards

DCB

Just a few comments on the recent chat.

If Steve Randall has accurately reported Keith Arther's comment (Tight Lines/Sky TV) that sea anglers can't do anything about trawlers fishing too close to the shore because they don't buy a rod Licence, I can only say - PISH!!!

Our salty friends can actively campaign against the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) through their MPs and direct to Government or it's Ministries as some enlightened soles are already doing.

The fact of the matter is that any lack of progress has nothing to do with a rod licence but, in my opinion, can be directly attributable to the corrupt system operated by our European cousins.

I belief that this problem is compounded by a lack of action by all governments since Edward Heath gave the fisheries away in the early seventies.

It is important to remember that the quota system, which results in up to 50% discards and bycatch is the politicians answer to the management of our offshore fisheries. This important natural resource has no longer anything to do with conservation or environment - it's just become another political pawn. Anglers are the only group that can break this strangle hold providing we have the political will to challenge this obscenity.

On the keepnet thing I would point out that scientific research clearly shows that:

a)There is no significant change in water quality whether one or fifty fish are retained.

b)There is no significant increase of stress levels in fish captured by rod and line and held in keepnets.

Providing keepnets are used correctly there isn't a problem. Angling's main focus should be in promoting the NFA and SACG codes of practice.

I think it is wastefull and destuctive to openly bicker over this issue.

Regards

DCB

Guest waterman1013

DCB

Thanks for the inputs. You are coming from my direction, or am I coming from yours? smile.gif

Did you see my posting on the rape of African waters by Europeans under the conservation heading. It needs all anglers to get involved to stop it.

I have asked for 5000 involved anglers as a Christmas present from Bretty. biggrin.gif

Welcome to the best angling site on the web.

Mike

Guest Gordon Scott
...Our salty friends can actively campaign against the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) through their MPs and direct to Government or it's Ministries as some enlightened soles are already doing...

Regards

DCB[/b]

Good on these enlightened soles I say! If only the flounders, plaice and dabs back them up they'll be getting be getting somewhere. Support the Flatfish Popular Front!

Guest Graham E

I hope everyone has read their Barbel Society Magazine number 10.

This thread could run and run. But unfortunately not collapse together in a heap.

Gordon, the Turbot are not joining.

[This message has been edited by Graham E (edited 10 October 2000).]

Guest Alan Roe

As I am not nowadays a member of the barbel society ( there has to be a limit on the number of societies one can be a member of )

I along with many others will not have access to issuee No10 of their magazine. I would appreciate it if someone could precis any relevant article to this thread so that we can all get a clearer view of the BS position in relation to the need for and drive towards unity within this sport of ours.

PS the flatfish popular front eh thats just BRILL!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Originally posted by Alan Roe:

PS the flatfish popular front eh thats just BRILL!!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Oh, no !! - here we go again, `skating` along.

Jonty

Originally posted by Alan Roe:

PS the flatfish popular front eh thats just BRILL!!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Oh, no !! - here we go again, `skating` along.

Jonty

Guest waterman1013

Graham and Steve P

So far only BS members will have seen issue 10 and the BS article. Can non-members get a copy? If so, how much and who from?

If not could one of you kindly publish it within this thread so that all of us can know where the BS stand.

Mike Heylin