ANGLING UNITY, IS IT POSSIBLE ?

Guest STEVE POPE

Steve, I have suggested before, that ALL field sportsmen & women of course, have got to stick together. All that happened was some anti hunting anglers giving me grief!!

As my friend (a member of the League against cruel sports) said, or should I say quoted "you & your blood sports!" Anglers have got to realise, no matter what their views on hunting, 'Field Sports' have all got to stand together no matter what!

Writing that was a complete waste of time as they won,t bloody listen! mad.gif

lyn

Guest Steve Randles

Something more "apt" would be better and a little less flipancy would also be appreciated.

I appreciate you wanting to take this over 100 posts but save the humour for other posts...........please

Guest Graham E

Sorry Lyn, you are a sweetie but...

To kill or not to kill, that is the question.

Fishing needs to stay whiter than white as a supporter of the environment and fauna, and as a hobby for mixed classes (sorry!!)

This is why I stand firm against multi rods (hunting) and fishing during the spawning season.

We need to unite with really positive messages, not with blood on our hands. Got to go. The cat has dragged back a screaming bunny again!

Hi Steve,

I think it will head for 200, with a debate about this one. I reakon everyone has different views, on this, and they should be respected. I personally feel that there is a definate difference nowadays with angling and, say "fox hunting". I certainly don't agree with the former, and think that it is presented in the wrong way. For example, us anglers will tell the truth on the issue and readily admit, we fish for fun. However, with fox hunting, it is not claimed to be fun, but a necessary activity to save wildlife. Like I say, everyone has different views, but the fox hunters cause would possibly bear more appreciation if it was readily admitted that it is a fun pastime, like angling. Not so many years ago, it was considered correct practice, when a pike was caught, whack it on the head, and throw it in a bush ! No, no, no, and thankfully things have changed now with regards to this. A fish, whether it be a pike or not, and every other animal has the right to the countryside as much as we do, in fact more. I think that all anglers should, and most do, bear this in mind, as the number one priority. Nature is nature, and is far more sophisticated and intelligent than us. It is somehow managing to find ways around the problems we (humans) create, amazing. Fox hunting and angling, the difference : Anglers will treat thier hunt with care respect, and give every fish, the best and safest attention they can. Fox hunting is about killing, there is a very big difference in my book. There are of course many more aspects to the countryside than these, and everyone has thier own view, which should be understood and respected. But most importantly, as anglers I think we are only visiting other animals domains, and should always respect that. Sorry if I have taken the thread slightly away from the intention, but more commonly nowadays, angling and fox hunting are being linked, it does leave people with views like me, feeling a bit un-easy.

Guest uk_lurcher

Jase, its the fun aspect that the anti's object to most! Go and look at the forum on the League against cruel sports website if you don't believe me. While you are there check out their policy statement, looks to me like fishing is being left alone as they don't have time to campaign for a ban.

You sticking a hook in a fish and dragging it out to 'drown' in the air 'just for pleasure' is every bit as objectionable to the 'antis' as foxhunting. All country sports need to stick together against these idiots!

UKL

Guest STEVE POPE

Apologies to Steve if he thought I was being flippant, I can assure him I was not.

This is a subject that we have debated for hours on end and one that has many implications.

Many people whose opinion I respect think we should have closer ties with the CA and I understand their reasoning.

However my own belief for what it's worth,is that the CA and fox hunting are too closely linked in the public pysche and therefore it is not in Anglings best interest to be seen as being part of the Alliance.

Our main priority is surely to keep public opinion on our side.

This type of topic unfortunately tends to polarise people's views but nevertheless I still think it needs airing and we need to hear what anglers have to say.

Steve.

Guest Ray Walton

Mystic is mistaking the little critters for 'WeirWolves'...... that only come out when there is a full..... eek.gif

------------------