ANGLING UNITY, IS IT POSSIBLE ?

Guest STEVE POPE

Guest Ray Walton
Originally posted by robbie:

As a new visitor to this page it seems quite clear that unity within angling is just not possible. Why? just look at some of the messages and replies and you will see that some participants are on ego trips. Steve Burke, Steve Pope, & Ray Walton to mame but three. It seems that Ray Walton only has snide or crass remarks to make and nothing constructive?  mad.gif If we want all aspects of angling to be as one we must put aside our differences. As you can see an umberela for all branches of angling sounds great but in practice wuold seem as far away as the moon. So Mister's Pope,Burke & Walton put away your clear ego problems and try to start angling on the road to unity. This is a hard task to undertake are you all up for it, are you all qualified for such a task can you all work together? burning questions that we all want answerd.

Robbie

Guest Steve Randles

Ray Please excuse this interference but did I not say one whole page ago that we are all anglers, all like to cast a line and catch fish.

Since then all that has happened is a page of "bickering" between you and Robbie!...2 anglers.

Multiply that by the 3 million that we have and you have 1.5 million arguments all going on at the same time.

This is no time for personal differences, but for unity ONLY.

I will lead the way in this by not answering any "cryptic" or issues leading to an exchange of words other than the furthering of angling unity.

I can be content in the fact that I believe in angling unity and refuse to involve myself in the minor (in comparison) issues of angling until we are moving as the strongest sporting body in the U.K. indeed even Europe.

Steve Randles

Guest Alan Pearce

Steve, well said, unity in angling is a very important issue and we should stick to the point otherwise we are in danger of losing the thread of this thread. So whose up for discussing this further, are there anymore diffrent views on the subject, anyone want to attend the next SACG meeting in September?

Guest Steve Randles

September is becoming a very busy month!

NASA at the start (hope to meet lots of you there),fish-ins, fishing and more fishing....something has got to give.

Ray..Thanks for the support,as we approach "post 200" finally we get to the nitty gritty,good stuff.

Alan..Perhaps you could post up some info of the next meeting as I would like to attend, I was thanks to Mike Heylin aiming to attend anyway after I met and talked about various issues (some I knew about,others way over my head).

I feel that after 20 years of excellent angling that it is time to give something back, even if it is only support.But I do need to be brought "up to date".

But for the moment let us all take one step forward...together! smile.gif

Steve Randles

Guest waterman1013

Steve Burke

Your post of 13th August refers.

As far as I know at he moment the situation remains the same. SACG will become a representative group sitting at the NFA table. Sport England will NOT recognise us as a Governing Body in our own right but see us as a representative group, which in reality is what we are.

The structure as proposed by Ray is similar to the one I have in mind, an umbrella organisation with a representative council directing its efforts in lobbying, education and training. It will however take men of character to subsume their private interests in the interests of agreement, where agreement can be reached.

I have been heartened by the postings on this thread. I know a lot has been said to wind other up and some have enjoyed a good verbal "going over" but the majority seem to favour unity in one form or another. We now have to take that forward and explore how we can structure an umbrella and then how we can fund it.

I think between Alan and myself at SACG we can support what has gone before and help drive the movement forward. Everyone needs to remember however that we all do this in our spare (HaHa) time. There are many demands and the movement towards unity in angling cannot be allowed to let us take our eyes off the other balls that are in the air at the moment. The Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Review Group is now finished with the consultation period and we need to keep a watch on the Government's reaction.

Steve Pope and the BS have done sterling work on defending the closed season on the rivers, we have added our voices to that work, as SACG, individuals and representatives of clubs and societies. Now the next fight will be to stop BW building a canal link between the Ouse and the Grand Union. The BS has already come out against this. SACG has not yet, to my knowledge, had any representations on the subject but in discussions with other members and interested parties there are massive concerns about; the movement of Zander from the Ouse into the Grand Union and Thames systems, barbel going into the Grand Union, and catfish moving from the Union into the Ouse system in numbers. These are some of the grounds from a conservation point of view. There should be other concerns about the reasoning for this canal. It would become very easy for the water companies to use the river/canal system to move vast amounts of water around the country, in times of shortage, and we have no idea what the impact of such movements would be on fish stocks and the ecology of our river systems. These are my early reactions. I am sure that we will discuss the matter at out September meeting and different groups may have different views, but SACG has normally reached a positiona cceptable to all in the past and will strive to continue to do so for the benefit of angling and fisheries.

Sorry this drifted from my response to Steve B, but I have been off line for a while and am trying to catch up with the thread when I should be earning a living.

It's nice outside - if you ain't working - Go Fishing

Mike Heylin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest waterman1013

Well it's the 1st September and tomorrow we will all be at Burghfield.

If you want to discuss unity and the future of angling I shall be fishing around the lake or on the river, probably very wet according to the forecast. There will be an SACG stand and you may find me there during the day, if not I'll leave a note as to location.

Tea available at my brolly camp, bring your own cup, sugar and seat.

Hope to see you all there.

Mike Heylin

Originally posted by waterman1013:

Well it's the 1st September and tomorrow we will all be at Burghfield.

If you want to discuss unity and the future of angling I shall be fishing around the lake or on the river, probably very wet according to the forecast.  There will be an SACG stand and you may find me there during the day, if not I'll leave a note as to location.

Tea available at my brolly camp, bring your own cup, sugar and seat.

Hope to see you all there.

Mike Heylin

Mike,

I can't make this. Try as I might, I'm finding it very hard to be in so many places at once and am beginning to realise why some sites and magazines have such numbers of staff. At the moment, it's just me, myself and I frown.gif

Is there any chance that you ar anyone else could write a bit about it for those that weren't there? If so, I'd like to make an article of it.

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk