"VIRGIN" Barbel

Guest kelvin wood

Guest kelvin wood

I have been given permission to fish a private trout & grayling river for barbel as from october these fish havent seen anything except natural food and the odd fly fisherman.What baits do you think i should start with

------------------

carper

Guest Gordon Scott
Originally posted by Elton:

Would everyone please step aside while Graham E and Waterman have a man to man chat with their newly-found friend  tongue.gif

Elton

OUR newly found friend, now then...

Gordon

Guest waterman1013

Sorry Gordon. Elton gave him to us first (tehe), you'll have to get in line. biggrin.gif

Kelvin - I can't advise you but my good friend Mr Crabtree , er Graham, can. But I think he might be a while coming back to you 'cos he either went on holiday today or is loading the car to go tomorrow.

Now Graham is very good with virgin waters and bait applications. To advise you properly he will probably need to spend some time walking the banks with you and his "faithful friend" (me), checking the local populations of insects and deciding which pattern larvae you should start with. When he is back on I am sure he will soon sort you out and in no time you be catching a VB and maybe even a PB

Mike

Guest Gordon Scott
Originally posted by waterman1013:

Sorry Gordon.  Elton gave him to us first (tehe), you'll have to get in line.   biggrin.gif

Mike

See if I care!! I don't mind if my nose gets brown in the sun, but that's where I draw the line...

Actually I wouldn't want to take advantage of their naivety (it'll be be a mirackle if I've speled thatt wird rite, when we gonna git a spelchequer on heer?) I'm off to fish the Kennet in the morning for some proper educated barbel that have seen it all before (all that is apart from ME!)I would have mentioned sycophancy but I can't spell that either...

Gordon

Guest waterman1013

Gordon

Mr Crabtree says go to bed or you will fall asleep today whilst fishing and those nasty barbelly things will drag your rod in before you know it. Then you'll have to jump in after it.

Actually that might not be a bad thing. You might find Ray (ActionMan) swimming with the fishes. biggrin.gif

Guest Graham E

Graham E is packed and raring to go to the land time forgot. He will be trying to catch a sewin for the first time. (The 3 previous attempts have ended in total and abject failure!)

My wife is wondering why I smile as the rain comes down.

Now back to Barbus. Kelvin, don't let anyone tell you that virgins are there for the taking. They have to be tempted with quiet skill and application to success. And then there's the fish. Mike (Waterman)is bristling with knowledge.. and some of it can be applied to fishing...(ouch!)

We will gladly assist in any way possible including provisions ( how's that for ultimate creep)

Just e mail us with details of where and when.

Your friends, Graham & Mike

Guest martin allen

Just chuck a bait out, it's bound to go off especially near dark. Personally, I'd feed small area with little bits of meat 7 maybe corn, and just keep dropping in and out of the swims. Martin.

Guest Stuart M

I'd get the ole fly tying vice out and tie yourself up a lovely "hair rig". Then present (in an upstream fashion of course) a boilie with a bit of paste round it!

Make sure you wear your moleskins though.

Guest big al

mike (waterman)is full of knowledge when it comes to barbel!!the last time he went i had to make his bait and provide the hemp .and then he only had one bite which he promptly missed .no if its advice on barbel don't ask him still the crack will be good and matbe he will fall in he normally does