Coarse Fishing Gloucestershire & General Advice

Elton

Posted on behalf of Adam. Please add all replies to this thread:

I have recently started inland land fishing as i have been doing sea fishing recently , I have bought a shakspeare rod and reel with six pound breaking strain line and some floats etc but i'm a bit confused about "breaking strain line" what does this mean. Does anyone know of any good fishing venues around stroud gloucestershire for carp, barbel etc , As i'm waiting for the canal season to start again as i go fishing on the stroud water canal

Thanks Adam

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Adam I live in Gloucestershire, and have lived in and around the Stroud area. You are lucky in that there are plenty of Rivers in the Gloucestershire and particulary Worcester and Warwickshire counties. The river Severn, Avon, Teme to mention just three, all are good barbel river, but this is a big subject and I don't know how experienced you are with this species, certainly you need suitable tackle before you set out.

As with Carp, again,you are lucky with quite s few good lakes near you, Woodchester complex, and the Cotswold Water Park near Cirencester is a very good place to look. South Cerney AC is a good club and can help with all aspects, they have River access too. Google their website :mellow:

As you know canals are open in the closed season, so the Gloucester Sharpness canal might be worth a look, there are plenty of Carp in the canal.

If I can help more let me know.

Thanks elton done some research into the lakes you suggested might leave the barbel for when i'm older probally going to buy a carp reel and go carping at woodchester(as it's the closest) and i will might go fishing on the glos+sharpness or on the stroud water opens on april 1st , i'm spoilt for choice

do u recomend any carp reels for £20-£35 do go with my sea rod for those commericals biggins

Thanks elton done some research into the lakes you suggested might leave the barbel for when i'm older probally going to buy a carp reel and go carping at woodchester(as it's the closest) and i will might go fishing on the glos+sharpness or on the stroud water opens on april 1st , i'm spoilt for choice

do u recomend any carp reels for £20-£35 do go with my sea rod for those commericals biggins

Not sure how pleased a fishery owner would be if you turned up with a sea rod to target his Carp :D They would be far to heavy for Carp and if pressed in to service for Carp are likely to damage the fishs mouth, be hard to use and be no fun at all if you did hook anything.

Any idea what size Carp you are likely to be after? You don't need a dedicated Carp rod to fish for them and many anglers use far to heavy test curve rods in my opinion, but as you expressed a wish to maybe try Babrel fishing at some point. Then maybe a rod in the 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 TC may serve you well and will cover a number of different fishing applications. An Avon rod might fit the bill.

Okuma do some fairly priced reels or you could try to pick up a second hand reel of the auction sites.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hi Adam

Dales is right a sea rod is not the right rod to fish for carp, so you really should try and get a carp rod or better still a barbel rod , that way you could use the latter for both species. But I gather you might not be too experienced with the carp and barbel, so rather going for the difficult waters, and Woodchester is, although some big carp there they are difficult to catch, but worth a look.

Perhaps thinking about it more, you should have a look at a small lake in Uley, it was a good lake to cut your teeth on and could be fished with lighter tackle too. Also have a look at the Stroud municipal lake.

But perhaps the best advice I could give you is to go to Lobby's the tacke shop in Stonehouse, they are very helpful regarding where to fish and advice on tackle. But dont think you need heavy gear Adam, a budget match rod and reel is what you need, along with a net and handle.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Neil

Thanks guy very useful i'm used to fishing with 15ib line in the sea so 6ib seems a bit weak,The uley lake is a good lake as have farming freinds in uley so probaly try their soon nice and local and went investiating their on a visit to the farm yeh so i'll be posting my fishing sucesses(hopefully) very soon

Adam :camera:

Hi Adam

Dales is right a sea rod is not the right rod to fish for carp, so you really should try and get a carp rod or better still a barbel rod , that way you could use the latter for both species. But I gather you might not be too experienced with the carp and barbel, so rather going for the difficult waters, and Woodchester is, although some big carp there they are difficult to catch, but worth a look.

Perhaps thinking about it more, you should have a look at a small lake in Uley, it was a good lake to cut your teeth on and could be fished with lighter tackle too. Also have a look at the Stroud municipal lake.

But perhaps the best advice I could give you is to go to Lobby's the tacke shop in Stonehouse, they are very helpful regarding where to fish and advice on tackle. But dont think you need heavy gear Adam, a budget match rod and reel is what you need, along with a net and handle.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Neil

Thanks Neil and elton useful advice seems a bit odd fishing with 6 pound line i'm used to 20! I most probaaly go to the uley lake as my farming mates are based down their and know the owner so that could be the way to go for those carp etc thanks guys good info

Hopefully i'll be cathcing soon and will post pictures on the forum

Adam :clap2:

i just asked my old man where i used to go when i lived in worcster and won my first trophy mibght i add i was 4 years old fishing against 8years old kids, yeah i had a bit of help from my dad but nore more then the kids of older age so i felt at home, i remembre it well... it was called

whitly court , worcester way
that quote is my dad on fb telling me just now.

as for going heavy on carp gear... i wouldent bother.

in the last 12 months i have spent £1,500 on the so called what you need to carp fish. it is jut hype but i do like to look good on the lakes hahah :lol: but who doesn't

if i be honest i would have more respect if somone could bring a huge carp on floater rod then a carp rod, shows the angler knows how to fish with tyle and true water craft and knowledge.. B)

Not really tbh, best use the quiver for what it was intended :) If you can stump up a few quid abpout £15 or even less you can buy a very good float rod....ask WATATOAD on here he will point you in the right direction.

Forget sea fishing tactics for the ponds and rivers, if you can buy a float rod then for most purposes a 4lb line will be fine, with say a size 14 hook with a couple of maggots/ sweetcorn, or even bread on that size hook. Lots to learn Adam, so if in doubt keep asking.

Okay could i get a float tip to go on my quiver tip? Looking on ebay? Dad say i cant get anymore rods :angry: I try to a float tip

Unless you have a 'avon' top then thats a no I am afraid. An Avon rod is a rod with quiver(s) and a Avon top or float top, they are great all round rods that will catch you a lot of fish from Perch to Carp, they will take line from 3lb to 6lb b.s.

The John Wilson range are good value and I have a few, and the older ones can be bought for peanuts on ebay, don't be put off by the low price.

If you cant get your Dad to get you one :rolleyes: get him to send me a message and I will see what I can dig out of the garage, besides you are only a few miles down the road.

he should of got the tf gear 4 in one rod, would of saved money :D