black bass in u.k waters?

captain cojones

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there were some stocked in waters in the 70's.Also I remember someone (think it may have been Ron Clay,over on the FishingMagic forum) saying that there were a couple of lakes on/near some USAF bases that still had them in.Nearest places out of the country are a few lakes in France and the Rio Ebro in Spain.All artificialy introduced of course.The stocking of Bass in France is commonly blamed for the introduction of the dreaded Bullhead Catfish or Poisson Chat as the French refer to them.God forbid they ever end up in this country.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BUDGIE:

I believe there were some stocked in waters in the 70's.Also I remember someone (/near some USAF bases that still had them in.Nearest places out of the country are a few lakes in France and the Rio Ebro in Spain.All artificialy introduced of course.The stocking of Bass in France is commonly blamed for the introduction of the dreaded Bullhead Catfish or Poisson Chat as the French refer to them.God forbid they ever end up in this country. </font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For many anglers, large-mouth black bass are los cojones del pero

As they say, one man's fish is another man's poisson :D:D

Who gives a toss about Section 30 Notices? :rolleyes:

Recently came-across this article about catching them (in Africa,, not UK), whence I have linked to this pic

___________________ Posted Image

DG

<small>[ 13. May 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]</small>

Everbody has stories about black bass in the UK. Without doubt there were bass in Dorset and East Anglia, both stocked close to or on USAF bases and for private use only. Unquestionably they are long gone, except for perhaps a few ornamentals that might have survived, although I doubt it. I know of two senior USAF personnel now back in Florida who tried to track them down but realised very quickly that the stories were nothing more than handed down and greatly embellished fairy tales that grew every time the stories were retold. (Irrespective of Ron Clay-yep I heard that stuff too Budgie)

Now about these muskies in my back garden :D

[ 13. May 2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

I believe there were some stocked in waters in the 70s.

Personally, I think that the stories about Black-Bass in the UK

are a load of old cojones :D

DG

[ 13. May 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

BUDGIE:

I believe there were some stocked in waters in the 70's.Also I remember someone (think it may have been Ron Clay,over on the FishingMagic forum) saying that there were a couple of lakes on/near some USAF bases that still had them in.Nearest places out of the country are a few lakes in France and the Rio Ebro in Spain.All artificialy introduced of course.The stocking of Bass in France is commonly blamed for the introduction of the dreaded Bullhead Catfish or Poisson Chat as the French refer to them.God forbid they ever end up in this country.

sorry lads i meant to put budgies post in quotes, at the beggining of mine! i told you i was new at this lark!black bass arent just in the ebro, they are widely distributed all over the country,i was just curious whether somebody had managed to set up a fishery in the u.k thats all. i havent heard any reports myself. i know diamond geezer knows what fun they are, i remember seeing a picture of a tiddler or two he had caught a while back!!! :D:P:D:D

There were definitely some in a small gravel pit near Send in Surrey back in the 1950's. I saw the pictures and fished with a bloke who caught some on plugs.

This bloke was my best mate until he died in his sleep.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic