Canal

GavBhoy

hi i have posted a similar question on a diff forum but wud like 2 get as much oppions as possible. I am planning 2 fish my local canal which is called the "fourth and clyde" in glasgow nxt sunday im not fussy wat i catch but i wud like 2 use a feeder maybe using bead maggots hemp and crum what type of feeder shud i use and what is a simple set-up as it will be my 1st time feeder fishing, also were abouts on the canal shud i aim for.

Thanks v. much

Gavin

i would try to research what fish are actually in the canal. If there seems to be a lot of perch in the canal you might want to try worm. I am not sure if it holds true in Scotland as it does down south but there are a lot of carp in canals these days and you might want to target these. However, for what it is worth I would go for a cage feeder and bread flake on the hook. Hopefully someone might post later who knows more about canal fishing in Scotland.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

GavBhoy:

I am planning 2 fish my local canal which is called the "fourth and clyde" in glasgow nxt sunday im not fussy wat i catch

Gavin

So you wont mind the odd nappy then :D or if you have strong enough line you might pull in a shopping trolley.

I went to look at the canal once while staying with relatives in glasgow, not sure of the name but it was strewn with said items above. Still, folk fished it. Good luck.

Hello Gavin

I spend most of my fishing time on the local canals here in Staffordshire (where there are many). For general pleasure fishing, not after a specific species, I like to use a medium cage feeder attached paternoster style with a 2lb-3lb hooklenght of about 18in.

I would add cooked hemp to my chosen groundbait aswell as the water it was cooked in.

I personaly find red maggots to be a favoured bait, but also find that the tench prefer a single grain of sweetcorn, match these to your hook size (18-22 for 1 or 2 maggots, 14-16 for a grain of sweetcorn).

Look for overhanging trees or bushes on the far bank and fish to these. If you have a wide turning bay nearby, this can be a great place to start, and you may find the odd carp patroling round the edge.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

:):):)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.