Labour's new Anglers' Charter

Leon Roskilly

Cranfield - please enlighten a poor old angling politician.

Please explain your reasoning / thought processes behind your statement:

"I would have been more impressed if it had been written by the Labour Government."

I would be really interested to know.

Perhaps, I'm missing something?

My enlightenment is in your hands. Don't let me down!

Regards

David Bird

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just speed-read the Charter.

[Aside: old Woody Allen gag: "I speed-read Tolstoy's 'War and Peace' in thirty seconds. It involves Russia..."]

The Charter looks pretty sound to me. Well done Martin Salter and FACT.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

'The document builds on Labour’s 1996 Angler’s Charter and is the result of months of hard work and discussions with government ministers from DEFRA and DCMS'

If indeed it was written by FACT, why does it suggest otherwise ?

I dont have any axe to grind until I've read and digested it, but if it was written largely by anglers and not politicians, the foreword would seem to suggest otherwise.

I would also point out the blindingly obvious.

3-4 million anglers = 3 millon plus votes in the forthcoming general election. Once again I feel like I'm just vote fodder. Oh and before I forget, this government is not noted for keeping its word. So even if this charter says all of the right things, that doesnt mean to say its going to happen.

[ 07. April 2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

It does not matter what party you support in the forthcoming election as martin slater points out "All the main political parties, apart from the Greens, are strongly in support of fishing and shooting." It is nice to see the party in power listening to angling organisations for a change. I firmly belive that angling is safe from political interference at national level, (despite what the Countryside Alliance says). Now we can concentrate on matters that do threaten angling like pollution, cormorants, and water abstraction.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Labours charter for SHOOTING and fishing.

Can't have anything to do with that then, shooting and fishing are not the same - 12 pages of junk say that.

It doesn't really matter what it says, an election is looming so ALL polititians will say what you want to hear.

I might have been more impressed had it come out a year or so ago.

Mark

Smoke and mirrors.

Anyone would think there was an election coming up!!!!

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Dear Peter,

I was sent this document via SACN and haven't yet read it. I also haven't yet read the same on Anglers Net either. Why? I thought I'd let you shout from the stalls for my appearance whilst I sat in my dressing room having my talons polished.

Certain things I will say right from the outset is I've noticed the following;

Mike Heylin and Birdy posting close behind Leon putting up the thread. Queensbury rules guys or bare knuckles? You lot are soooooooooooooooo predictable.

I'll bet the FACT war chest, or a bag of marbles which is worth more, that this little manoeuvre is another attempt at political spin prior to the general election all aimed at what? Trying to improve Martin Salter’s marginal chances? Or trying to align angling with the labour party?

I'll read the whatsit and get back if I feel it’s worth comment.

In the meantime, might I dare to presume that Mike and Birdy get used to the idea that miraculous Martin might not be on the political scene for much longer? And unity unity? Only if you vote labour?

Regards,

Lee.

I wonder if any of the monthlies will publish it in full. It doesn't present answers to all of the problems, but it is something of a masterwork in recognising all the issues relevant to angling. A superb achievement - whoever wrote it.

p.s. If any party is prepared to issue such a statement, it goes well beyond political spin. There has been a hell of a lot of work put into it. At the very least, someone recognises that anglers are worth devoting that much time and effort to.

[ 07. April 2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

quote:

Cranfield - please enlighten a poor old angling politician.

Please explain your reasoning / thought processes behind your statement:

quote:

Labour has produced a new Charter for Angling in consultation with the national representative organisations for the sport and government ministers.

quote:

This document was, for a large part, written by those in FACT,
DCB, my comment arose from reading these two statements.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "