No pain no gain???

prez

Why is it that I always see anglers lugging barrows of gear like they are going on a 6 month holiday or something? Is there really a need to bring the whole tackle shop with you?

My own gear consists of a 4x6 inch slim box for ALL my bits, 2 rods a net and bankstick, a small folding chair and a bucket for all the bait. Walking and carrying this stuff with shoulder straps is a breeze. I'm even able to wave with my free hand to the chaps pushing and pulling trolleys and looking seriously knackered.

I've also just invested in a fly fishing vest and a rod holdall so I guess I can wave with both hands from now on! :D

Hahahahahaha, Oh how true! I myself always travels light, I enjoy fishing in untouched places, not these drive ups.

Personally I think the manufacturers brainwash folk, the sport is like a fashion show, your cool with the latest over priced gear. The manufacturers sit back laughing their heads off whilst watching people pay upto 6 times more than they should just because it has a brand name.

For the Lancs anglers amongst you, you will know what I mean about the benefits of going light when one has to get to the "Horse shoe bend" stretch of the ribble.

Dont beleive the hype.

pres,

A man close to my heart.

In the US it is becoming fashionable to make three trips to an overloaded 3/4 ton pick-up truck.

Holy smokes!

I carry about as you and have a pleasurable time.

In the US the average session is about 4 - 6 hrs (a guess). Some spend half that time getting ready or packing up. Not to mention the time spent at home getting ready and unpacking.

Phone

prez, no unhooking mat, no umbrella,no food, no tea/coffee,no spare rod/pole in case you change your mind. What about waterproofs/warm clothing, camera and scales, oh and a spare rod rest in case one gets bent.

The list of ESSENTIALS is endless.

I used to fish like you sometimes, but only short sessions, and when flyfishing just a rod &reel and a few flies and a landing net was all I needed.

A lot of the problem with tackle is BULK.

Den :)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I too take dry over wet any day but I do carry waterproofs because I sometimes end up in questionable weather.

I've always felt that anything that won't get used at least once should be left at home. I always try and go with a plan of action and take the right tackle to carry it out. My other rod is my contingency so that I can try other methods.

I've been pretty successful so far and I enjoy planning my trips like this. Light and mobile is definitely the way to go!

:)

I posted this in the carp forum by mistake (as some of you know).

Newt - thanks for the report button info. I'll be sure to use it next time this happens!

Not that I'm saying anything but phew could have gotten ugly... :D