balaced tackle

Guest barry ford

Guest Graham E

Nice one Gordon. Foot/shot/hole came to mind.

My car has been recovered though!

And just to show my luck continues apace. I leant over the bridge at St Pats today, massive chub and dace to nearly a pound.

Big plop originating from top pocket.

The mobile has dried out now...but still it will not work!!

Originally posted by Graham E:

Nice one Gordon. Foot/shot/hole came to mind.

My car has been recovered though!

And just to show my luck continues apace. I leant over the bridge at St Pats today, massive chub and dace to nearly a pound.

Big plop originating from top pocket.

The mobile has dried out now...but still it will not work!!

Graham,

Pop along to here some time:

http://www.aquapac.net/

Do you remember the nice couple who came to the last fish-in who lurk, but don't post? I'm sure they'll remember me throwing my phone in tha lake just to prove that these Aquapacs work biggrin.gif

Tight seals,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Steelheader69

I must apologize, I'm very unfamiliar with Barbels and such. I know carps, but mostly I'm familiar with fish in the NW (pacific salmons, steelhead, trout, whitefish, and sturgeon-not including pure seafish). For sturgeon, I do have some heavy tackle spooled with VERY heavy line. These fish range 14+ feet and can reach into extremely heavy weight. Though, my most heavy line used for any salmon is 20lb mono. I use them on my "plug rods" and I have one rod I use for big King Salmon that I use exclusive 20lb test on. On average the kings run 35lbs but it's not totally uncommon to hit kings in the 50, 60, or even 70lb range. 70 is rare, but seen and even an 80lb king was caught last week.

Most of the rivers I fish are pure glacial rivers, full of rocks, trees/treestumps, and misc. snags you must fight besides the fish on the line. Alot of people around here use 12-15lb maxima ultragreen to fight these bruts. I couldn't imagine 30lb test though. I don't use that heavy on my downrigger rods when I'm fishing puget sound in Washington State. These are stiff rods used to troll deep with. I'd love to get a copy of this article this whole post is about. I hate trying to give insight on something I have no idea what it's about.

Oh well. I have my cataraft ready and will be doing a float for some early salmon in the next week.

tight lines....Jerry

------------------

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts

Guest Gordon Scott

Hi, Jerry, I'll try to scan the article in question and email it to you some time today/tomorrow. Whether you'll be able to make much out of it even then remains to be seen though, you know what another country's fishing is like - full of strange terminology. Anyway, see what you think.

At the risk of going off on a complete tangent on this thread, you're making me feel envious! I had nearly two weeks on the NW Pacific coast last year, fishing the Fraser river, up in British Columbia Ca. We fished for white sturgeon, and it was mind-blowing! For a Brit., the whole experience was out of this world. Not just the fishing, but the scenery, the people, everything.

As you know, it's all catch and release, so the fish were measured and estimated rather than weighed, but our party of four had sturgeon to around 330lb. I know that's still pretty modest by their standards, but it was plenty big enough for us! When one of those beasties tailwalks it's heart-in-the-mouth time! Incidentally, we used special 9'Lamiglas rods and multipliers loaded with 80/100 lb. braid. I don't think any of the guides used mono,only for leaders, perhaps because sturgeon bites are not the slap-bang-wallop affairs you might expect and the non-stretch braid shows them up better.

Good to hear from you, I'll sort out that barbel article when I get a minute.

Gordon

Guest Stuart M

Barry, yes you are correct that 12lb mono would create the same sort of drag that 30lb braid would. Rays whole point of using braid is to be in direct contact with the fish with little or no stretch..that way he feels the bites much sooner. 12lb mono is too stretchy,so what does Ray use...30lb braid!...that's the whole point.

Guest pete falloon
Originally posted by Graham E:

Peter. The tackle you mention was the same I used for a number of years, and always found it did an excellent job for barbel/chub. It also has the advantage of being great for larger rivers as it has the umph to hit home smaller species bites without being too soft and long in the tip.

The only difference I would make would be to use a 13ft for rolling if possible to enable greater control when far bank rolling.

Graham, cheers, I really enjoy using the jw rod. Is there a 13ft rod in a similar price bracket, and a decent pin not to costly you'd recommend? Or do you prefer a fixed spool for rolling/trotting? Ray Walton seems to use both small shimanos and these rolling pins.

Guest barry ford
Originally posted by Gordon Scott:

Barry, Barry, Barry! If you're half as good at getting the fish to take your bait as you are at getting ME to take it I must come to you for some lessons...

First. It's not my bloody Barbel Society! Sure , I was a founder member and sat on the committee 'til recently, but I was only one of - what is it now - 1300 members? As you might expect, I agreed with the committee's stance on most subjects, mildly disagreed on some others and stood seemingly alone on just a few decisions. A stance I'm sure I shared with all committee members of all angling clubs - or at least those with a mind of their own... Throughout this time I always endorsed the committee's decisions publicly,regardless of the fact that I might sometimes have privately had reservations, and that's not going to change now.

In fact I do agree broadly with the Society's Handling Code, but any such code will contain errors and omissions, otherwise it would be the size of Yellow Pages. Actually, I know the code's due for an update, as I am sure Steve Pope will confirm. It all takes time though, and all the committee are unpaid volunteers.When/if it is updated I am sure I will still agree with the substance but still be able to find fault with some details. It's just a fact of life.

I think I made it clear earlier what my personal preferences are when it comes to barbel tackle and methods, but I wouldn't dream of criticising Ray Walton because his views are different from mine. That's why I jumped to his defence in his absence. I'm sure as soon as Ray gets back from his tour with Ken Dodd and the rest of the troupe he'll speak up for himself! Honestly Barry, trust me on this, to imply that Ray is using and endorsing tackle and methods that are putting barbel at undue risk is akin to accusing the late Mother Theresa of running a crack cocaine ring! I would never claim to have agreed with all Ray's pronouncements in the past, that's my privilege, but his committment to barbel study and conservation over the last twenty years is almost unique.

NOW can I go away and stay away? Much more of this and I'll be hanging myself with some 30lb. Spiderwire...

Gordon (President of the God Worships Ray Walton Society)

Nuff said Gordon, I couldn't stand the thought of you susspended from 30lb braid.

Tight lines Barry wink.gif

Hi all, now call me thick (please don't!) , but if a line is being 'dragged' then it must be bowed, right?...if there is a bow in the line then how can you be in direct contact with the bait/fish?...why then use braid at all?

I'm obviously not a barbel angler, just a multiple rod/buzzer carp angler rolleyes.gif , but I just can't get my head round this drag thing and being in contact with the bait/fish at the same time. confused.gif

Please help!

Tight braids,

Gaffer.

Guest barry ford
Originally posted by Stuart M:

Barry, yes you are correct that 12lb mono would create the same sort of drag that 30lb braid would. Rays whole point of using braid is to be in direct contact with the fish with little or no stretch..that way he feels the bites much sooner. 12lb mono is too stretchy,so what does Ray use...30lb braid!...that's the whole point.

Hi Stuart,

I am still not sure about the real reasons for useing 30lb braid. Every one seems to feel that this was a personal attack on RW let me assure you it was not.

I know other anglers use high strength braid and most of them can't tell you why they use it? This was the reason I started this thread.

Let's look at the possible reasons for useing braid,

1 no stretch so you are in touch with your bait.

2 you can use a higher BS because of it's low diameter, but doe's that mean you should go to extreme's I rather think not.

2 good reasons for useing braid, the minus side being braid has little or no abrasion qualities the fact that it has low diameters encourages anglers to go to heavy.

RW's method correct me if I am wrong consists of braid through to the hook plastercine as the the wieght to keep the bait on the bottom and to draw the bait down stream.

My method is almost the same and I have no problems useing 12lb braid to achieve the presentation I require so I still can not see the need for 30lb braid??????

Nice to see that you like me are prepaired to admit that foul hooking really does happen when useing a moveing bait eek.gif

Cheers Barry

[This message has been edited by barry ford (edited 05 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by barry ford (edited 05 September 2000).]

Guest Steve Randles

Gaffer...This is a river thing!

The current keeps the bow in the line under tension all the way from the reel to the hook, the moment a fish breathes on the bait you will know by a classic dropback bite or if your lucky enough a pull-round...very sensitive!

Tight (bowed) Lines

Steve Randles