balaced tackle

Guest barry ford

Guest Gordon Scott

Well, we've had 50 posts on this subject, during which there has been much heated debate, many toys have been thrown out of many prams, there's almost been threats of 'handbags at dawn' and all that, but what's it all been about?

In the white corner we've had battlin' Ray, paperweight champion of the UK, fishing for barbel with 30lb braid.

In the red corner was Barry 'smokin' Ford fishing for barbel using virtually the same style and tackle, but with 12lb braid...

Now is it just me, or do you think that us coarse anglers are just a bit, well, WEIRD, at times??

Gordon confused.gif

Guest barry ford
Originally posted by Eddie:

Not having the experience neccessary to answer this post properly I will let others more respected do it for me!

Quoted from "SUCCESSFUL ANGLING" 1977 by Richard Walker, Fred J Taylor, Hugh Falkus, Fred Buller. Taken from a section atribited to Walker and Taylor.

"4. Use the right tackle

Your outfit must be capable of placing the bait where the fish can find it, preferably with the least possible distubance; of detecting bites when they come; of driving the hook home, and of exercising enough control over a hooked fish to keep it clear of weeds and snags until it is sufficiently tired to be led to the net. Most anglers are well aware of this but fail to put into practice what they know because of mistaken ideas about angling ethics, involving the belief that it is more creditable to fish with inadequate than with adequate tackle.

It is not sportsmanlike to use tackle so light that if you hook a big fish you are likely to be broken. Fish that have been hooked and lost are as hard to catch as those that have been landed and returned. If they are left trailing a length of line they are almost impossible to catch until they get rid of it and then it is left in the water to entangle some unfortunate bird. So use the strongest tackle and the biggest hooks that the fish will take. If you use tackle that is too coarse, you`ll get no bites, so tackle strength has always to strike a compromise. But if you have located your fish, avoided scaring them, and chosen to fish at a time when they are feeding, you can usually tempt them to bite on tackle strong enough to land them, provided you make no mistakes in your handling."

Hi Eddie,

Quite right, but as the article was from 1977 and braid was not invented your argument has little bearing on this thread.

The gist of that article would also show that the Greats of this angling pastime we all pursue saw the need for balanced tackle.

Barry Ford

If you use tackle that is too coarse, you`ll get no bites, so tackle strength has always to strike a compromise."[/b]

Hi Eddie,

Quite right, but as the article was from 1977 and braid was not invented your argument has little bearing on this thread.

The gist of that article would also show that the Greats of this angling pastime we all pursue saw the need for balanced tackle.

Barry Ford

[/b]

Barry

Bearing in mind the above sentence can we be sure that if it was available they would not have used it? My interpretation of the use of the word coarse (which back then meant thickness) is that they would have jumped at the chance!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 24 September 2000).]

Guest barry ford
Originally posted by Eddie:

Hi Eddie,

Barry Ford

Barry

Bearing in mind the above sentence can we be sure that if it was available they would not have used it? My interpretation of the use of the word coarse (which back then meant thickness) is that they would have jumped at the chance!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 24 September 2000).][/b]

As this thread was about balanced tackle and not about days of yore.

It seems to me that no one who use 30lb braid can give a sensible answer to my question I think it is time to close this thread.

The only thing learnt from this is that most of the anglers that responded felt the need to defend Ray Walton.

I find that sad that anglers would defend such takle because it is used by a particular angler and not on its merits.

I still feel that this tackle is dangerous and unbalanced and I wonder where these ultra thin low diameter braids will take angling, I also wonder where anglers who are prepaired to use these braids will take angling????????

Barry Ford.

Guest thecarpangler

Does this mean that angling is only safe in the hands of mono users.

Surely people who would embrace new techniques and developments are better for the furure of angling than people who would dismiss it.

But there again I'm only a carp angler, so I don't care about fishing anyway.

------------------

The carp angler

aka BIG RIK

mailto:carp.angler@talk21.comcarp.angler@talk21.com

Guest barry ford
Originally posted by thecarpangler:

Does this mean that angling is only safe in the hands of mono users.

Surely people who would embrace new techniques and developments are better for the furure of angling than people who would dismiss it.

But there again I'm only a carp angler, so I don't care about fishing anyway.

Hi carp angler/big rik,

It matters not what you fish for the question is about balanced tackle.

As a carp angler say useing 15lb mono and happy with that strenth of line, what srenth braid would you use if you changed to braid?

Would you not use somthing similar in strenth to take advantage of the lower diamiter or would you feel that you had to step up to a much higher strenth?

In answer to your question I am not saying that angling is only safe in mono users hands.

Yes we are free to embrace modern tackle and move forward that has always and always will happen.

What I see as being wrong is the use of this braid in very high strenths without justification i.e 30lb braid on rivers where the average size of fish is in the 7lb bracket.

I see this as the means justifying the end result. so far no one has been able to give valid reasons for the use of such high srengths of braid.

The only reasons have been that you can clear the rivers of lost tackle.

There have been no suggestion that it is fish or envirnomently friendly.

All I would say is yes use these new high tech lines but be sensible with them don't feel the need to go to high in strenth and above all else keep your tackle balanced and put the welfare of the fish you catch before all else.

Tight lines Barry Ford

PS it may be time to close this thread as it seems no real answers are going to come as to why anglers feel the need to use 30lb braid. SO as I started the thread I now ask for it to be closed.

Originally posted by barry ford:

There have been no suggestion that it is fish or envirnomently friendly.

I can give an example for each.

Fish: Pike anglers, particularly lure anglers, often use high bs braid. Pike that take lures, especially during times when the rivers are well oxygenated and warm, are often a bit 'lively'. Great fun to see them tail-walking, jumping in the air, etc., but not good if you can't get them in quickly. In fact, I'd say it's downright irresponsible to fish with tackle that doesn't get them in quickly. I cringe when I hear of 15 minute + battles. That's how pike die. I don't have much experience with other large fish. Perhaps someone else would care to comment.

Environment: Many of the venues I fish are strewn with snags. Some are natural, some aren't. Whatever, they're still snags. Is it best if I have a bit of fun and risk a few crack-offs, condemning the fish that has wrapped itself around that shiny trolley to a slow and miserable death, or should I beef my tackle up a bit and bring the trolley and the fish in?

Barry, I'm not knocking you or your reasons for questioning the use of 'inbalanced' tackle, but do hope that you can see that there are occasions when it isn't just the thrill of the fight that has to be taken into consideration.

Me? I use braid between 15lb and 30lb for pike fishing. The main reason is not because I catch big fish, but because I'm very good at aiming for squirrels frown.gif

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest barry ford
Originally posted by Elton:

I can give an example for each.

Fish: Pike anglers, particularly lure anglers, often use high bs braid. Pike that take lures, especially during times when the rivers are well oxygenated and warm, are often a bit 'lively'. Great fun to see them tail-walking, jumping in the air, etc., but not good if you can't get them in quickly. In fact, I'd say it's downright irresponsible to fish with tackle that doesn't get them in quickly. I cringe when I hear of 15 minute + battles. That's how pike die. I don't have much experience with other large fish. Perhaps someone else would care to comment.

Environment: Many of the venues I fish are strewn with snags. Some are natural, some aren't. Whatever, they're still snags. Is it best if I have a bit of fun and risk a few crack-offs, condemning the fish that has wrapped itself around that shiny trolley to a slow and miserable death, or should I beef my tackle up a bit and bring the trolley and the fish in?

Barry, I'm not knocking you or your reasons for questioning the use of 'inbalanced' tackle, but do hope that you can see that there are occasions when it isn't just the thrill of the fight that has to be taken into consideration.

Me? I use braid between 15lb and 30lb for pike fishing. The main reason is not because I catch big fish, but because I'm very good at aiming for squirrels frown.gif

Tight lines,

Elton

Hi Elton,

Lets all step up to 100lb braid dispense with the fight and just reel them in is this what you really want?????????

I see the point with trooleys but the Dove,Ouse,Kennet,Avon,Stour seem to be void of them what wieght do they go to?

It seeme that the thread will continue dispite my request for closure.

All the best Barry