Loch Ken

peterseafishing

A friend of mine went several times last year but the crays made it nigh on impossible to deadbait for them (even fishing up in the water). He reckons it's wall to wall crayfish ! Might be worth trying somewhere else.

It's still worth fishing. Deads on the bottom are no good, but there are other ways to catch pike (there are other species too, inc good perch) try lures, productive and exciting.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

It's still worth fishing. Deads on the bottom are no good, but there are other ways to catch pike (there are other species too, inc good perch) try lures, productive and exciting.

Maybe, but you really need a boat to make it productive and not everyone has one.

Maybe, but you really need a boat to make it productive and not everyone has one.

It's true that a boat is very good, especially on large waters. I love being out on mine. However the shore can offer great fun, on all sizes of water. Summer and late spring evenings roving for the last couple of hours of light and casting lures is probably my favourite fishing method of all, and it works, the thing about big waters is that one has miles of shore to go at (admittedley on some there are parts with limited access). Amongst all that shore there are areas which fish just as well, if not even better on foot as they do afloat. I don't hesitate to take on our big lakes here from the shore, nor the Scotish ones like Ken and even Awe.

Our local is almost 4 miles long and almost a mile across, for the past 2 years my biggest pike from it have come during evening lure sessions.

Boats have their use and are great fun, one can cover alot of ground, and that mobility is fantastic,but they, also have the potential to get the angler spending more time roving around, wheras 'ashore' one has to get focussed.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Its going back a few years now (about 15), but I've had some OK sport fly fishing for pike out of a boat on Loch Ken. I only did it a couple of times and didn't get anything big (6-7lb tops with most around 3 or 4lb), but i was getting 5 or 6 fish in an evening. There was some lovely shallow under water weed beds way out from the bank to explore.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• 1 year later...

Remember livebaiting is banned in Scotland. Large lures are the best bet.

I went fishing there twice last year, stayed at Loch Ken holiday park, one week in April, then two weeks in October. Yes the Crayfish were a pain, but I still caught fish off the bank and in the boat. The Pike weren't massive, probably max 4lb's and caught the big Perch trolling with spinner.

The Pike I caught off the bank were with Mackeral by both floating them and using the popped up bait system, in the boat I caught them by trolling with a rubber lure, the best results were with one I got from a pound shop which surprised me, again best results were in he first and last few hours of daylight.

I'm back there for two weeks in September :)