Unity - At Last!

Guest waterman1013

Regarding the question as to how and whether we freshwater anglers are represented, the fact that there is a minister involved on our behalf is evidence that having a license works to some extent.

Granted we don't all get what we want all the time, but in general, I would say that the EA license has been good for angling, and I have no doubts that the Angling trust will be of benefit.

Problem comes back to the money again, RSPB and Nationl trust etc give you something tangible in return for your money, you can, in many cases recoup the cost of membership by saving on entrance fees. I note the Trust has a scheme whereby you can "earn points" not much help to mr average angler though.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rspb.org/vacancies/details.asp?id=tcm:9-201137

Over 200,000 people enjoy our monthly e-mail newsletter.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/plus/

Do I have to be an RSPB member?

No. Anyone can sign up whether they are an RSPB member or not.

Does it cost anything?

No. It's completely free and you'll also benefit from subscriber offers and competitions.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I note the Trust has a scheme whereby you can "earn points" not much help to mr average angler though.

Den

I would be astounded if they didn't get paid commissions for this. Whole businesses revolve around "cashback buying", such as http://www.cashbackbay.com/

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I checked on their manifesto (a search bar on site) and typed in "disabled Angling" - It came back "nothing found", so I lost interest.

If it can't involve the disabled - I'm not interested!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Leon and Elton are both good friends of mine but as they have opposite views on this subject I'm bound to side with one or other of them. Our friendships are strong enough to survive this, which is just as well as in this instance I very much lean towards Leon's viewpoint.

Most of the angling groups have at last united to form the Angling Trust. This was partly because the Government has made it clear it isn't going to listen to more than one angling organisation.

So like it or not (and I do), we therefore have no practical alternative to the Angling Trust.

So to all those who don't agree with the AT's policies I say, instead of knocking them, why not join them?

It's a democratic organisation, so if enough people agree with you then you could get the AT's policies and personnel changed. You could even run for office.

But one thing's for certain, you won't get it's policies changed if you're not a member!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Leon and Elton are both good friends of mine but as they have opposite views on this subject I'm bound to side with one or other of them. Our friendships are strong enough to survive this, which is just as well as in this instance I very much lean towards Leon's viewpoint.

Most of the angling groups have at last united to form the Angling Trust. This was partly because the Government has made it clear it isn't going to listen to more than one angling organisation.

So like it or not (and I do), we therefore have no practical alternative to the Angling Trust.

So to all those who don't agree with the AT's policies I say, instead of knocking them, why not join them?

It's a democratic organisation, so if enough people agree with you then you could get the AT's policies and personnel changed. You could even run for office.

But one thing's for certain, you won't get it's policies changed if you're not a member!

I have to agree with that, I live in Wales but have always been a NFSA PM I will transfer over to the Angling Trust for the reasons stated above and I think the new organisation will have the power to make central government sit up and take notice. I am sad that the Welsh oganisations have decided not to join, I live in hopes that they will see the light.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I really do think that the "Who elected who to represent anglers" argument, is a dead dog.

Let's look at it this way. 3 million anglers, with 3 million points of view, each totally different to each other. Each angler wants his own way, so all 3 million of them go, one at a time, to lobby their MP. The MPs, then make three million different decisions, all totally different, to suit each angler who has lobbied them.

Now, angler number 2111654, had his own way, so did angler 145234. Unfortunately, angler 2111654, didn't like what 145234 wanted. So he then goes back to his MP, and complains. The MP then says, "but you didn't tell me NOT to do what 145234 wanted, did you? Anyway, who elected you to overrule what 145234 wants anyway?"

Politics doesn't work that way.

As the vast majority of anglers are happy to sit back and not involve themselves in ANY elections of ANYONE to represent them, by that I mean by joining a group and discussing points, and voting for a representative to go and lobby their MP for them, I really don't think they are in a position to criticise, or complain when someone who does want to take part, actually stands up and has a go.

I have never, and I mean never, heard of any instance where any angler (independant, or representing any club or group), at any of the dozens of meetings I've been to, has not been allowed to have his own say. Sometimes, anglers who do have their own say, are able to have their motions carried following discussion, sometimes not, sometimes they are even laughed at. It's called democracy and if someone isn't of a mind to support it, but demand that their own prioritys override everyone else's, or who grumbles when his views aren't discussed fairly (while sitting on his hat and not bothering to tell anyone what they are), they really shouldn't throw rotten apples at those who are less lethargic.

Perhaps the many thousands of anglers who are not going to support the Trust, would like to get together and form another organisation they feel they can support. Then, as they do that, a third group can get together, made up of those who don't support the second group. Then a fourth group could be set up, who don't support any of the other groups, and so it goes on, until there are three million one man groups, none of whom support any of the others.

Or, as an alternative, maybe we could all support one group. or is that too complicated?

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

(Is that one of those 'have you stopped beating your wife yet?' questions, intended to smear whatever the truth? I had a greater respect for you than that).

Compulsory logbooks?

I've not heard about them (some proposed voluntary schemes to better asses the impacts and needs of the recreational sea fishery, but certainly nothing compulsory)

Quotas?

I assume that you are referring to Article 47 which from what I've been able to discover is mainly because of concern about the landing and selling of fish by unlicensed artisinal 'peasant' fisheries classed as 'recreational'. Though a few pictures of anglers coming back with boxes and boxes of filleted cod posted on forums at a time when inshore fishermen are denied landing much of their catch hasn't helped.

But hey! let's not let the facts get in the way of a snappy smeary soundbite.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle5375688.ece

He wants to make recreational boat skippers apply for a licence for their boat and stop fishing when their quota has been reached. They would be subject to modern fisheries inspection technology, such as the satellite-based vessel monitoring system, electronic log-book and electronic reporting of catch data.

In the past many of those now behind this new unity were those who created alternative groups. They had their moment of glory as members of a shining new committee or whatever, but did it really get us anywhere? Indeed, in some respects, one or two groups punched well above their weight, gained for their own particular interest, but probably to the detriment of angling as a whole.

Now we have a new group, unelected, but we have to start somewhere, and the names involved have earned respect in the past. Dunk sums up my feelings exactly on this one.

My cheque will be in the post after Christmas.