Unity - At Last!

Guest waterman1013

Steve, I wrote this while you were posting, but regarding funding, £5,000,000 would make for a pretty powerful body wouldn't it?

Den

Where does that figure come from, Den? It sounds an impressive amount of money, but how would it be spent?

It's O.K throwing money at a sometjhing, but what could anglers expect in return in the shape of real benefits? For example, billions have been poured into the NHS by this government, but a lot of it has been eaten up by executives' salaries and new departments that don't actually contribute directly to the well being of patients.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, I wa simply quoting the figures often given as the number of anglers in the UK. 5 million isn't it? So £1 from each license sold would equal £5 million. Even if (as I belive) the figure were to be as low as 3 million. then it could still be an awesome sum of money :)

Seems simple to me, if you have to have a license, then you should get an automatic right to have a say in how your sport is affected.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Personally I will engage whenever and however I can in support of all aspects of the sport/pastime that has been my life-long passion, both through personal representation, and through our representative bodies.

So will I, Leon, but I'll make sure those bodies are saying what I want them to say before I lend them my vote and give them my cash.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Why? Did someone else help them?

(Is that one of those 'have you stopped beating your wife yet?' questions, intended to smear whatever the truth? I had a greater respect for you than that).

Compulsory logbooks?

I've not heard about them (some proposed voluntary schemes to better asses the impacts and needs of the recreational sea fishery, but certainly nothing compulsory)

Quotas?

I assume that you are referring to Article 47 which from what I've been able to discover is mainly because of concern about the landing and selling of fish by unlicensed artisinal 'peasant' fisheries classed as 'recreational'. Though a few pictures of anglers coming back with boxes and boxes of filleted cod posted on forums at a time when inshore fishermen are denied landing much of their catch hasn't helped.

But hey! let's not let the facts get in the way of a snappy smeary soundbite.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Steve, I wa simply quoting the figures often given as the number of anglers in the UK. 5 million isn't it? So £1 from each license sold would equal £5 million. Even if (as I belive) the figure were to be as low as 3 million. then it could still be an awesome sum of money :)

Seems simple to me, if you have to have a license, then you should get an automatic right to have a say in how your sport is affected.

Den

Oh, I see. I didn't realise that the idea of compulsory representation had progresses to the point where an actual figure was being talked about. Personally, I think that proposing compulsory membership of any club or group is scandalous. As you say, a licence should give you the right to have a say in how your sport is affected. We, (coarse and game anglers), already pay for a licence, but how much say do we have at present?

Don't drink and drive.

(Is that one of those 'have you stopped beating your wife yet?' questions, intended to smear whatever the truth? I had a greater respect for you than that).

No, it wasn't. You highlighted one single line of my previous reply and I asked you a question about it. Simple as that. Why is it that so many people involved in trying to control our sport seem so up in arms when somebody questions what they do? If you think what I'm saying is bad, please be grateful for the fact that I'm saying it in the open. Far worse things are being said behind closed doors.

I do think many angling representatives are misguided. I know that most are self appointed. I do have an inherent trust of people who have aspirations of grandeur, especially when I feel that it is at my expense. And no, I'm not saying that I could do any better, myself.

Trying to bully me into accepting that this new club is the way forward is having the opposite effect. You can't force people into unity. And this is a genuine question, Leon - have you been earmarked for a role within this Angling Trust?

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Compulsory logbooks?

I've not heard about them (some proposed voluntary schemes to better asses the impacts and needs of the recreational sea fishery, but certainly nothing compulsory)

Quotas?

I assume that you are referring to Article 47 which from what I've been able to discover is mainly because of concern about the landing and selling of fish by unlicensed artisinal 'peasant' fisheries classed as 'recreational'. Though a few pictures of anglers coming back with boxes and boxes of filleted cod posted on forums at a time when inshore fishermen are denied landing much of their catch hasn't helped.

But hey! let's not let the facts get in the way of a snappy smeary soundbite.

If the NFSA support the idea of sea anglers' log books, and they do, and if there is an EU proposal to make every recreational fisherman declare their landings and be subject to a quota, and there is, surely only a fool would not be able to see the writing on the wall?

Hoping that sea anglers won't be included, if any such proposal becomes reality, is a bit naive if you ask me; especially when recreational sea angling is specifically mentioned within article 47. The fact is, it is only a proposal at present, but it's something that stands a very good chance of succeeding. If it does, recreational sea anglers will have to be included or your "peasant" fishers will have been discriminated against. All sea angling representative bodies should be fighting this potential erosion of anglers' rights tooth and nail, but they aren't. Most of them can't even bring themselves to publicly comment on article 47.

This is just another example of why sea angling representative bodies can't gain the support of those they claim to represent.

Don't drink and drive.

And Leon, on the subject of respect, fair play to you for being the one who seems to be at least trying to address some of the concerns people may have on here. I don't agree with you on certain issues, but at least you're prepared to stick your neck out a bit.

Let us be realistic here, whilst there might be a small possibility of policing "HOBBY NETTERS" they have not got a hope in hells chance of getting RSAs to log their catch.

I fished Lawrenny from the shore several times this year and on every occasion I saw small private boats fishing for bass in what is a bass nursery area with no boat fishing. If they are unable to police that activity what chance is there of bring in log books.

I could take you to marks on the west coast of Wales which are fished at night and believe me no one is ever going to police those marks. Add to that boats fishing off shore and you are talking about an impossible and ludicrous task.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Leon - have you been earmarked for a role within this Angling Trust?

Not as far as I'm aware, though I'll continue to stay involved in what is now the NFSA Conservation Group, which transfers over into the AT.

Though how that group will evolve within the AT I do not know.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust