Bite alarms, more like sh**te alarms

Baronizer

I don't know about anyone else but i feel that using bite alarms to aid the catching of fish is quite pathetic. I mean on my local lake, anglers will go to sleep in their bivies until the alarm sounds. They will then emerge from their sleeping quarters and once they have landed the fish, proceed to return to sleep. Come on, this isn't fishing!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have added booze induced sleep. Dont know about the rest of you but if I am awakened by a sudden buzzer type sound I don't know whether i'm on this earth or fullers.(and thats without the booze) Certainly in no state to be 'in control' of a rod.

Hang the lot I say

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Cheers you two, just that these "bite alarms" are the latest craze with youth anglers who simply can't be bothered to watch a float shoot under or indeed a quiver tip fly round. I will tell you something there is little better than watching a carp pierce the surfice film and take your floating bait. I recently caught a 22 pounder doing this and would prefer it anyday to listening to the annoying buzzer that is becoming ever more popular with todays anglers.

Sorry for giving the wrong impression, but I wasn't actually agreeing with you. I was being ever so naughty really and being a wee bit sarcastic. :o:D:o Sorry. :0

But seriously, I did so because I thought your post was a sweeping statement and too much of a generalisation.

If anglers want to fish in that way, and it doesn't interfere with others, harm fish etc, then live and let live.

If the issue is with very noisy bite alarms or sleeping anglers who let the fish go round the lake three times, then yes, I feel you have a point.

But often (and I include myself in this) we like a longer session at the lake particularly when targeting certain species.

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal

Each to his own - live and let live - one man's meat is another man's poison.

I agree with over-loud alarms though, I turn my four alarms down low enough to wake me but (hopefully) not disturb others when I am fishing a night session.

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Was your question born out of ignornce or just a side ways swipe at a branch of angling you dislike.

The bite alarm was developed in the early days of carp fishing when to get a run was a red letter day.

No one is capable of watching two floats efficently even for a few minutes. Its difficult to concentrate on two leger rods even during the day never mind at night.

Have you ever considered there may be a medical reason for using alarms?

In my case there is! If I stare at a float for to long I get a migraine. This is caused by the sun reflecting of the surface ripple ie a strobe effect. So my answer is to use alarms when i can so I dont stare at the water.

Having said that why is it that anglers of different branches cant accept the methods from another branch. I dont like sea angling i dont like match angling but you will never hear me knock them. Rather the reverse I will support them in their chosen field.

Multi day session. Friends I don't see very often on the bank but 20-30 feet away. Slow fishing. "Gee, visiting some would be nice but what if I get a bite?" Certainly, wind in to sleep but rigs out again the next morning and we visit some more when one of us has cooked up breakfast and we sit around to eat.

I could go on but, as already said, your opening statement was much too broad. Bite alarms have a legitimate place in angling. If you don't like them, don't use them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

bite alarms i love them ,i have an alarm that tells me when my alarm goes off as when i`m sound asleep after a heavy session of drink and drugs the ones fitted on the alarms arnt loud enough to waken me .i am now building an alarm that tells me that the alarm alarm is going off so i can fish from the pub just up the road.

alarms are better if their really loud then the lowlifes on the pond then KNOW i`m catching and can assemble behind me in awe at their god.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If anglers want to fish in that way, and it doesn't interfere with others, harm fish etc, then live and let live.

If the issue is with very noisy bite alarms or sleeping anglers who let the fish go round the lake three times, then yes, I feel you have a point.

THEN TURN THE B**GGERS OFF WHEN SETTING THE RODS, IT'S A BITE INDICATOR NOT A 'DISTURB THE WHOLE LAKE INDICATOR'!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription