Bite alarms, more like sh**te alarms

Baronizer

You don't even have to turn them off when setting the line, just slip the line outside of the alarm until it has settled. Leaving them to beep when doing this should be a hanging offence.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to an old chap round one of my local lakes the other day....he had just one rod set up...complete with drop off and bite alarm..

He told me he wished he could still see well enough to be able to fish the float, as he couldn't see to well anymore...therefore, needed the sound to indicate a bite....

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

You seem to be malking one huge assumption that all of us who use bite-alarms are off to sleep in our bivvies! the bite alarm is to legering what the float is to floatfishing: simply the most sensitive way of registering fish interest in the bait. I use bite alarms and bobbins, particularly when I've two leger rigs out, but I'm rarely more than arms length away from the rods. I'd agree that some people do seem to use them irresponsibly, but that is the fault of the anglers themselves, not a problem with their tackle.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I think the point being made is that for many folk they are camping by the watersedge, until the alarm goes off, and then they they are fishing. Once the fish has been landed, had its regulation photograph taken, then its back to camping.

Used intelligently, and considerately, an electric bite alarm is nothing more than a sophisticated float!

But sleeping with the rods out is not angling. The rig and the alarm are doing the fishing, not the angler.

Simple answer to all this...ban ANY noise except humming...especially whistling.

Ban night fishing

Ban the use of anything containing batteries at the waterside.

And as for this latest craze among the youth of today, what ever is to become of fishing as we used to know it???? :rolleyes:

Den :rolleyes:

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I think that's a bit of a generalisation, Peter.

Where Pike are concerned it's an obvious no no.

Session Fishing for Carp and other species with multiple rods and where long periods of inactivity are encountered is a different matter altogether and in this case I don't see a problem.

IMHO Sleeping is OK as long as you're in a fit state to attend to your rods in the event of a take.

Hey Den!!! Red letter day mate! We agree 100%% !!

Rob, I also agree with you 100%. I'm sure that you will also agree that angling is all things to all men, and sometimes women. But sleeping on the job is not for me. It might get results but I fish for enjoyment. How can you enjoy it when you are asleep ?

Baronizer, and welcome to AN by the way, is new to the forum. Lots of new blood join and make similar, and sometimes contentious first postings, feeling their way maybe. But, whilst his posting is a sweeping statement, I can see where he is coming from.

The electronic bite alarm has changed the face of angling. Deep down, even though I do use them, I agree with Bernard Venables. B.V. made the following point:-

'Then came the electrical bite alarm. At once and instinctively I recoiled from it. It was introducing between me and the fish a foreign, unnaturel element. It was (and is!) intrusive, jarring, not nearly as thrilling as the silent slipping of line through the fingers in the pitchy night. Anyway, who, properly attendant on his rod, should need such a thing?'

Who indeed?

[ 23. July 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Guest Ferret1959

Surely if you are asleep your rods would be unatended and therefore breaking fishing rules, a bit like wondering up the bank and leaving your line in the water.

A couple of chaps have been done for that in Leics.

Again, each to their own. I use bite alarms but keep the volume on the lowest setting, it's the led that I find to be of the most benefit due to the majority of my fishing time having to be spent in the evening and after dark.

I find it strange how some anglers get upset with differing branches of the sport. I'm firmly planted in the "pleasure angler" camp as the main reason for me going to the waters edge is relaxation and enjoyment, bit of a "jack of all trades....master of none".

Bite alarms have their place, it's just a never ending road of tackle progress, embrace it or avoid it but don't knock it.

How far do we go when turning our noses up at this progress?

Bite alarms, fish finders, baitrunners, braided lines, chemicaly sharpened hooks, ready tied hooks, artifical baits, isotopes, silicon carbide rod rings, computer designed rods and reels, I could go on and on and......

Even cane rods and peacock quills were revolutionary once.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Many are just to flaming LOUD

and I always turn mine off when setting the bobbins.

They are a great help when carping / piking.

If you've ever sat by a French camping lake without one when cyclists back pedal past you you'll know what a godsend they can be! Tickticticticccc!!!!!!! :)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.