Moving Specimen fish

Liamsm

Hi All,

While fishing a local club lake with my son, I met a carp angler that labelled himself as a big specimen man (was a nice chap). Apparently he was only fishing this lake to test a new bait.

He told me that two carp of over 30lb had been removed from the lake, to put in another lake, that was especially for the specimen hunters in the club.

To me!, what he was telling me seemed like a contradiction in terms? and I found myself feeling glad that I did not hunt my specimens in a lake (prefering rivers).

Is this exeptable to all carp anglers?. Or indeed with any club members?.

I am afraid that if I hunted for big carp, I would be up in arms with my fishing club over this practice.

........Liam.

[ 28. September 2002, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Liamsm ]

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a lake caters mostly to anglers with lighter tackle (and especially if they do many matches) the larger fish can be a problem.

Problem for the angler because they will smash tackle.

Problem for the fish since they are almost certain to break off.

Especially a problem on a small lake where most use light tackle. Imagine the confusion a 30lb carp could do if the angler couldn't turn or control it at all. Could easily snarl/foul rigs from another dozen anglers. Whoooo Boy!!!

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good point Newt!, assuming that the anglers of that lake are: inexperienced, or are match anglers, or are using light tackle.

But!! Is this what specimen hunters realy want, all their fish in one pond?.

I... as an ordinary angler like the prospect of the unknown, that is the appeal of fishing to me.

I really do not understand the mentality behind this and am not trying to be pedantic.

If this happened on the river I would be screaming mad about it.

I can not understand why lake anglers do not feel the same.

..........Liam

[ 28. September 2002, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Liamsm ]

Barbelangler.co.uk

Two thirty pound carp would turn most waters containing them into bivvy city and prevent match and pleasure anglers from fishing them. Be grateful the club foresaw the problem and moved them to a water more suitable and left you plenty of room to fish. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Eddie,

I do not need to be grateful to anyone, as I pay my club membership the same as everyone else.

The lake in question does seem to be frequented by carp anglers in bevies and I wonder if they know that the big carp have been moved.

I am a barbel angler on the rivers by nature and only fish the lakes with my son, for his benefit and safety reasons.

The point of my post was to try to understand the mentality and reasoning behind this practice.

Also to see if carp specimen hunters agree in general with it.

Maybe to give me an insight into the mind of most carp specimen anglers.

I still do not understand why it would be exeptable to any angler let alone a specimen hunter.

.........Liam

[ 29. September 2002, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Liamsm ]

Barbelangler.co.uk

Yes Liams, generally speaking most modern carp anglers do prefer to have all the bigguns in one pond, nothing confuses a carp angler more than having to choose between two waters, unless of course one of them is big enough to allow them to hurl their baits over 100yds. In that case there is no decision to make!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Still confused Den,

I defer from your post that you are not a modern carp angler, therefore your post is justifiable, but only a one sided view of the situation, that I am trying to understand.

Any modern carp anglers out there want to add their views?.

......Liam.

Barbelangler.co.uk