Bream at night

Barry C

I have never fished at night but as most of the big bream (up to 16lb) on my local reservoir come out to the carp boys at night I have kited myself up for nights.

Now all of my Bream have been during the day. I fish a feeder either on the tip or with bobbins, never having used alarms.

I usually have a hook length of around 15 - 18 inches long and as I sit by my rods I use good old fashioned timing to set the hook.

I realise that I wont be as alert or quick at night and am expecting to, horror of horrors use a bolt set up to hook the fish.

What I would like to know is will I have to use ultra short hook links like the carp boys do or does the bolt rig works with longer ones.

Ime aiming for my first double this year but as probably being the only person to fish for bream at night Ime secetly hoping for bigger. The carp boys stay well away from fishmeal and particles to avoid the bream and still get a few.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I would like to know is will I have to use ultra short hook links like the carp boys do or does the bolt rig works with longer ones.

I don't know what you mean by ultra short, but I would suggest somewhere around 6" if using a bolt rig for bream. Some use shorter and some longer, but 6" would be a happy medium.

There's a really long topic here that may be of interest: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Big-bream-t82897.html

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't know what you mean by ultra short, but I would suggest somewhere around 6" if using a bolt rig for bream. Some use shorter and some longer, but 6" would be a happy medium.

There's a really long topic here that may be of interest: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Big-bream-t82897.html

No such thing as a happy medium on this one for me, just degrees of less effectiveness the longer you go.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

No such thing as a happy medium on this one for me, just degrees of less effectiveness the longer you go.

Lutra, is there a length at which, in your view, the hooklength becomes too short?

Rich

I would suggest in line flatbed method feeders with hooklengths between 4 and 6 inches long (experiment to see what works on that water).

The hardest part with bream and bolt rigs is reading the bites. Bites tend to stutter ie you will get a few indications then nothing then a few indications and nothing and a very high percentage always seem to be dropbacks (is it just me?).

I belive the bream just bounce the lead/feeder along the bottom then stop - either way all you need to do is pick up the road and reel - no strike needed.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I've got an open mind on this at the moment, I've been reading some bits by very successful big bream anglers who say that very short hooklengths can cost you bream. Bream do not suck as hard as tench or carp and also tend to suck at baits from further away, and a really short hooklength can prevent the bait getting into the fish's mouth in the first place. If they're heads down, tails up, going for it, it won't matter, but if they're feeding delicately and you're after that one bite, a couple of extra inches might just make the difference.

What do you reckon?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I would suggest in line flatbed method feeders with hooklengths between 4 and 6 inches long (experiment to see what works on that water).

So 4-6 inches would be a happy medium to start with?

Rich

The hardest part with bream and bolt rigs is reading the bites. Bites tend to stutter ie you will get a few indications then nothing then a few indications and nothing and a very high percentage always seem to be dropbacks (is it just me?).

I belive the bream just bounce the lead/feeder along the bottom then stop - either way all you need to do is pick up the road and reel - no strike needed.

Might not be the case with smaller bream so much, but with better sized bream, if you shorten your hook length down to around 3" you will find the bites tend to become a lot more positive and IMO less chance of them bouncing off or getting off.

Lutra, is there a length at which, in your view, the hooklength becomes too short?

Rich

I should think so, but i cant say at what length only that it will be less than the 3" I use a lot.

p.s. Hair length may also alter how short you can go, but i don't tend to use very long hairs.

I've got an open mind on this at the moment, I've been reading some bits by very successful big bream anglers who say that very short hooklengths can cost you bream. Bream do not suck as hard as tench or carp and also tend to suck at baits from further away, and a really short hooklength can prevent the bait getting into the fish's mouth in the first place. If they're heads down, tails up, going for it, it won't matter, but if they're feeding delicately and you're after that one bite, a couple of extra inches might just make the difference.

What do you reckon?

I reckon some of them big bream anglers you've been reading about need to stop dreaming up sh1t in their bivies and do some proper breaming. :lol:

As I say, I have an open mind on it at the moment. I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'proper breaming', two of them were Graham Marsden and Wol Gaunt :rolleyes: