Advice on Pond Construction Wanted

Badger100

Hi, I am planning to dig a largish (30ft Dia) farm type pond. That is no artificial ornamentation, filters etc, basically a irregular shaped hole in the ground. What are my options on liners, I have seen people talk about triple layers of fabrics. Also a friend of mine suggested laying down teram, and filling over it with blue clay. Has anybody heard of this. Any suggestions/help/advice would be much appreciated. Also any likely suppliers for liners etc, useful website suggestions, and an idea of likely costs.

Badger100

Use Pondkeeper.co.uk for your liner.

http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/?gclid=CPnUjaW...CFQoa4QodrEyZrA

If you are going to use them let me know and I can try and get you a preferential rate as I am a frequent customer.

They offer liner guarentees of 15 years to Life if you buy their underlay and so cheat and buy perhaps 4 rolls.

http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/flexiliner.asp

http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/underlay.asp

They will have a 3 ply liner, which I use myself. You are looking at £350 - £500 in cost.

It is so tough that a spade has trouble penetrating it.

My Pond is 15' x 12'.

Dig your depth 12" deeper than required to accomodate underlay.

Slope your sides at approx 65 degrees leaving one side at 45 degrees.

Add a shelf all the way around at a depth of 18"-24" by a width of 12"-18"and this will help you establish Plants.

Plant Lillies at no greater depth than 30" and buy from reputable suppliers. I use B&Q.

Put in Elodea Crispa as it is a great oxygenator and water purifier.

I use chimpy1978 on Ebay and again could try to get you preferential rate.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-ELODEA-CRISPA-PO...=item3cb68bb8d8

It will take 12-24 months for plants to establish.

Allow £100-£125 for your Plants.

Underlay it all with Old Carpet, Old Clothes, Old Duvets and clean cardboard or clean builders sand. The more the better.

Then buy weedguard from WILKINSONS website, it is as strong as advertised official Pond Underlay.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/netting+trell...njj10HcSA%3D%3D

Layer the weedguard, layer it twice, from the edge to the middle of your pond and pin your edges with metal tentpegs.

In the middle weigh down the point of meeting for the weedguard with clean sand or carpet.

Make sure the weedguard overlaps your edges by 3 feet all round.

Lay your liner and do it with bare feet.

It is vital that no impurities enter the pond before the liner goes in, hence the 3 foot overlap.

Before filling add gravelled areas. Great for spawning fish and holding down your plants.

Do not use any Pond compost,unless you are using pots, as natural silt will quickly develop.

If you are filling from a Tap you are looking at filling in about 18-30 hours.

Once the pond is full cut the underlay and liner to 12" from the waters edge and then repin.

I advise that you only stock Goldfish to start, they tolerate poor water conditions exceptionally well.

Add more sensitive species after 4 weeks and make sure you add Loaches, they really do help clean up the bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-5-cm-Mirror-Car...=item43a5ec2a4a

Lastly, I always advise that people Lay Turf over the exposed areas of liner into the Pond to a depth of 6".

The Sun has a longterm and detrimental effect on all pondliners.

Lastly, good luck and if I can help I will. :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Now there's a right un.

Hi, I am planning to dig a largish (30ft Dia) farm type pond. That is no artificial ornamentation, filters etc, basically a irregular shaped hole in the ground. What are my options on liners, I have seen people talk about triple layers of fabrics. Also a friend of mine suggested laying down teram, and filling over it with blue clay. Has anybody heard of this. Any suggestions/help/advice would be much appreciated. Also any likely suppliers for liners etc, useful website suggestions, and an idea of likely costs.

Badger100

I too use pondkeeper .co for my landscaping business and ive got to add that the 3 ply flexible liner is the way to go for a pond of your size as it is so easy to work with and very cheap compared to rubber liners .

You do have to be very carefull when laying it out and as has been said use bare feet but most importantly be very careful where the joins in the liner run as it can be easy when walking on it to stretch and pull these apart , youve just got to be aware of where the joins are and take care , but once the pond is filled with water the sheer weight will stop these joints from ever pulling apart , just thought i would add this to put your mind at rest as the joints out of water can seem to pull apart fairly easily and cause worry but its ok once filled i promise :)

there are also planning considerations in a couple of cases if its on a farm ,change of use and if it interferes with existing watercourses and if machinery is involved (strange that bit)

a farmer up the road dug one ,the council objected but he won on appeal for the change of use part ,the council then found out he used a spring on his land which connected to a stream and to cut a long story short he had to fill it in and stump up the councils costs.

it was a nice looking pond as well but the local council don't like people standing up to them so get vindictive ,its still 1947 around here :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thank you all, very comprehensive information, pondkeeper it is then. I will have a proper look at the info over the weekend. Thanks once again....Now where's my spade !

I am sure that like myself there are people here who use Pondkeeper regularly and would offer to introduce you in the hope of perhaps saving you some money. Don't be afraid to ask. :help::help:

All the best and I found a Pick was far more efficient than a spade...... :showoff::mellow:

Badger100

Are you gonna hire a mini digger for the work , it will only cost about 110 pounds for the day from wolsey centre and you will get the job done in a day :)

Are you gonna hire a mini digger for the work , it will only cost about 110 pounds for the day from wolsey centre and you will get the job done in a day :)

Plus they're the most fun you can have with your rod in!

They are really addictive...

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue