Keepnet limit

leedsunited

Personally I wouldn't use a keepnet. However, the idea of a time limit is sound. Holiday-makers on the Broads are famous for keeping their catches in nets overnight, and longer. I have emptied a few over the years. Even small catches of small fish have developed quite bad net rash. I would like to see keepnets consigned to the history books, as I would this obsession to manhandle and photograph every fish caught! Re the photography, bit harsh, perhaps, but it amazes me the extremes that some folk go to. Pike don't have lungs!! Photography fine, manhandling not so fine!

[ 12. July 2005, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking along a match length after it has finished can be an excellent way of getting a supply of deadbaits for piking. There was a match at Collingham on Sunday and it made me shudder to think that there was a possibility of barbel being put in keepnets during such a combination of hot weather and low water levels. There have already been quite a lot of dead bream floating downstream, probably from the Newark Dyke and Cromwell Weir.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I owned one when i was younger, me and my grandad used to have our own little match's, it was a good way to learn, and a good way to show my mentor up sometimes

Although it was mainly roach and the odd small tench.

I don't own one now, not since they changed the rules, if i remember rightly they changed them twice, and confused the hell out of everyone.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

I dont own a keepnet either. I have a pike tube that I occasionally use if I feel a pike would benefit from some oxygen over its gills before being released. I also use it to keep up to three or four perch in, whilst fishing for their friends. I share the view that releasing big perch immediately after capture spooks the rest.

[ 12. July 2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

What i think would be a good idea is to just keep your desired fish on that day in the keepnet, put all other back.

Otherwise if you are fishing a friendly competition or just pleasure angling, every couple of hours, especially in the heat, empty the keepnet.

By the way i reckon that most keepnet damage is at the end when you are lifting them out, but there is no way to avoid that apart from not putting too much in there.

Guest Ferret1959

argyll:

I dont own a keepnet either. I have a pike tube that I occasionally use if I feel a pike would benefit from some oxygen over its gills before being released. I also use it to keep up to three or four perch in, whilst fishing for their friends. I share the view that releasing big perch immediately after capture spooks the rest.

Isn't that a bit like using a small keepnet?????????

i'm concerned about keeping perch, as much because it takes them so long, as i understand it, to adjust their swim bladder to cope with a change of water pressure. taking them from 12' of water and putting them in a net which onbly goes to 3' can't help if my understading of their swim bladders is correct.

ferret, i also follow the no keepnets unless in a match/practice session. I think i undersatand your point, why the difference, for me i assume that keeping an animal confined in a space with other similar creatures can't be good for it, however in certain situations, my requirement to know how much I have caught, outways the concern I have, when pleasure angling i don't need to know how much I've caught with any sort of precision, therefor I don't see the reason for confining the fish.

it's a personal choice thing.

However on hot days like today, if fish are being returned and not being kept fresh for cooking later, then they should be returned in a short period, particularly if the net can't be in the more oxygenated parts of a water.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Went fishing other day caught some nice Roach and Perch.

Got 8 1/2 pounds of them in about 3 - 4 hours !

But when putting my nets out to dry next day my dad has seen loads of scales in the bottom of my keepnet !

I wetted my hands before i unhooked the fish, and i took care with them so i don't know what happened.

I think i'm going to stop using a keepnet unless i am fishing in matches.

Also, i just want to say Perch are greedy ! I hooked two deep down and i think one may have died and one survived. My mate had two perch bleeding, so from then on i struck at the first sign of any movement on the float.

[ 16. July 2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: leedsunited ]

Used to use a keepnet all the time, never now .They say you are never too old to learn!! :P

In fact, looking back, they were a bloody nuisance. Always seemed to hook the net while fiddling around close in, and before i was educated to barbless hooks, this was even more of a pain. :(

Also carrying a stinking wet net back home in the back of a car, and then trying to find a place big enough to dry it was another problem.

Come to think of it, more often than not the net stayed dry on the bank anyway. Ah well......... :confused:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Seems very non PC to use a keepnet these days.

A couple of questions-

Whats the best way of retaining a big bream if you have to?

Should you always return high oxygen dependant fish like barbell and grayling straight away?

How should you retain other large fish?in carp sacks?

Should all species/sizes of fish be returned immediately?

Please note Im not offering my views (at this stage!) but just seeking others opinions.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!