please look at this - is it right or wrong thinking

teddy

I am relying on the providers of excellent advice who know what they are talking about. Thanks in advance.

A water i fish has just introduced some new rules.

"No Plastic Baits, No Fixed Leads - We will be doing random checks"

The rationale for this is

"If you crack off the rig is always fishing as the plastic bait can not come off."

I know that if we don’t like the rules we can fish elsewhere but having seen videos by the likes of Danny Fairbrass and co,

In which they use plastic baits so i am struggling with this one.

I usually fish the odd grain of plastic corn or a group of plastic maggots.

I also use drilled boillies with foam inserts or just a piece of yellow foam.

I keep thinking they are wrong - what do you think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am relying on the providers of excellent advice who know what they are talking about. Thanks in advance.

A water i fish has just introduced some new rules.

"No Plastic Baits, No Fixed Leads - We will be doing random checks"

The rationale for this is

"If you crack off the rig is always fishing as the plastic bait can not come off."

I know that if we don’t like the rules we can fish elsewhere but having seen videos by the likes of Danny Fairbrass and co,

In which they use plastic baits so i am struggling with this one.

I usually fish the odd grain of plastic corn or a group of plastic maggots.

I also use drilled boillies with foam inserts or just a piece of yellow foam.

I keep thinking they are wrong - what do you think?

I completely understand the no fixed leads rule. If you crack off with a fixed lead and are not using a lighter hooklink chances are the lead will be towed round with the fish and then if the fish swims into a snag it can tether itself because of the lead and die. Not something you would want to be happening with your prize carp for example.

As for the imitation baits I would say they are correct again. Not something I have tried all that much really the whole imitation baits thing so hadnt considered it but when you think about it it is correct. Until the hook corrodes it will always be a danger to a fish picking up the plastic bait.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Until one comes along, will I do? :D

My first thought is that any bait, unless very soft, would still be on the hook in the event of a 'crack off', so it would "still be fishing". Although a plastic 'bait' would last longer.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

What they say is right Teddy...............

But its another example of rules having to be brought in to protect the fish because of the lack of basic skills mixed with the use of high tech tactics that seems rampant in today's angling.

The issue should really be not the use of plastic bait or fixed leads or what ever but more why are these people loosing their rigs in the first place! I'm afraid (sits back knowing I'm going to get a hard time from some for saying this!) I know the reason they are and that reason is simply a lack of basics skills.Skills that in the "olden days" would have been learned and mastered long before the angler would have started fishing for the likes of carp and using (what were then regarded as) advanced methods.

And let me say before our Dean "The Magpie" in Devon has a hissy fit ;) Its not just young anglers I'm on about here! I say that as a water I fish that has only so called experienced adult members has had to bring in a tackle ban to stop fish being harmed for exactly the same reason ie lack of basic skills and knowledge of a few!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Until one comes along, will I do? :D

My first thought is that any bait, unless very soft, would still be on the hook in the event of a 'crack off', so it would "still be fishing". Although a plastic 'bait' would last longer.

John.

Thanks for your thoughts - if this became a blanket ban, like lead shot did, i wonder what the reaction would be and what Enterprise Tackle Ltd (main producer of imitation baits) would have to say.

Please keep the thoughts/comments coming.

John

Thanks for your thoughts - if this became a blanket ban, like lead shot did, i wonder what the reaction would be and what Enterprise Tackle Ltd (main producer of imitation baits) would have to say.

Please keep the thoughts/comments coming.

John

Well at the end of the day, the owner of the venue has the right to set any restrictions he likes, you either follow the rules of the water, or vote with your wallet and fish elsewhere!!

But bait and tackle restrictions seem to be very common on most day ticket waters, and are generally imposed by owners with the fisheries best interests at heart, (whether they are scientifically correct reasons is another matter)

the only ones that really get up my nose are the rules that are imposed to rip you off - "The only pellets allowed are the vastly overpriced ones on sale in the baliffs hut" type rules!

Mat

Mat

Well at the end of the day, the owner of the venue has the right to set any restrictions he likes, you either follow the rules of the water, or vote with your wallet and fish elsewhere!!

But bait and tackle restrictions seem to be very common on most day ticket waters, and are generally imposed by owners with the fisheries best interests at heart, (whether they are scientifically correct reasons is another matter)

the only ones that really get up my nose are the rules that are imposed to rip you off - "The only pellets allowed are the vastly overpriced ones on sale in the baliffs hut" type rules!

Mat

Interesting what you say Mat about preferred pellets - the water owner may have connections to a bait company - less plastic more real bait sales - i have had the same plastic baits for over 10 years.

keep going with the thoughts and comments.

Mat

Even though it pi$$es me off to have restrictions put on me because of others stupidity/ineptitude I accept that its often the only practical way a fishery manager can do things so accept it. But you are dead right about the "rip off" rules!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

ive got experience of a lake that has rules about using a hook length of at least a pound lighter than mainline, and also no surface fishing. Both in place to protect fish.

on my own clubs carp lake we implimented a "no surface feeding" rule last year because of the large amount of bread left floarting about at the end of a sunny days fishing!

as for plastic baits and fixed leads...i can see the point of banning both.

trouble is each and every fisherman will have a clear idea about what is right and wrong and at the end of the day the owner/club will always be in the wrong with some rule with somebody!

case in point...end of last year i tried a piece of fake bread at the lake...ended up casting up a tree! LOL! as it happens in Feb i wandered round the bank; now accesible due to the lack of undergrowth; and picked it from the branch it was still stuck on! it had happily lasted a good 4 months and more!

so i can easily see the horror story of a fish running free with a hook link and a lump of plastic stuck in its mouth for months on end!

as an aside and partly linked to the situation: is the water club owned/rented or private? i ask because ive just had a post on the clubs forum about a price rise for our membership this year..which was voted in at last years AGM. the point being i think we saw maybe 2 "club members" at last years AGM and they both voted ok to the raise!! so one tends to think its a little late to moan about a new rule/price if members cant even be bothered to turn up to raise a question at an AGM! LOL

not saying this is the situation here...but maybe talking to the owner or the club would raise awareness of the reasoning behind the ruling...or possibly open their/his eyes to your viewpoint and allow for a little bending/openess in the rule

Edited by kirisute

I can see why fishery owners are protective of their specimen fish.

I was talking to the owner of a typical french holiday carp fishing venue last week. In the winter he re-stocked with carp up to 50lb.

These specimen carp cost him around 200Euro a kilo so the 50lber is valued at around 5000 Euros alone.

That is quite an investment ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/