please look at this - is it right or wrong thinking

teddy

After witnessing a duckling last year with an obvious peice of red plastic corn hanging out of its beak held by the hook I say 'hooray'.

Now if that bit of corn was also attatched to a fixed lead and a twitcher had found it lying dead in the margins.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with the rules, for one it is up to the owner of the fishery.

I have also fished countless different venues, wondered why a branch of an overhanging tree was constantly twitching and pulling, only to realise or be told that it is a tethered fish. Sometimes they go out on a boat and rescue it, others they don't. Fixed leads are dangerous things and not at all necessary when semi fixed rigs are just as good.

The plastic baits rule is also fair enough i would say, although i don't feel so strongly about it. A maggot, pellet or a worm would probably be gone within a day if not less, and there is a chance a fish will still pick it up but not it won't be there half as long as a plastic bait which will be there for ever, at least a good few months i would imagine. Saying that though if there are no fixed leads they shouldn't be expecting crack offs so the plastic baits shouldn't be left there.....

It's up to the fishery owner and if thats what he wants to do to protect his stocks fair enough, somebody once told me that a 20lb fish is worth about 10 grand, if i had fish worth that much i wouldn't allow people to use hooks when they are fishing!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I completely agree with the rules, for one it is up to the owner of the fishery.

I have also fished countless different venues, wondered why a branch of an overhanging tree was constantly twitching and pulling, only to realise or be told that it is a tethered fish. Sometimes they go out on a boat and rescue it, others they don't. Fixed leads are dangerous things and not at all necessary when semi fixed rigs are just as good.

The plastic baits rule is also fair enough i would say, although i don't feel so strongly about it. A maggot, pellet or a worm would probably be gone within a day if not less, and there is a chance a fish will still pick it up but not it won't be there half as long as a plastic bait which will be there for ever, at least a good few months i would imagine. Saying that though if there are no fixed leads they shouldn't be expecting crack offs so the plastic baits shouldn't be left there.....

It's up to the fishery owner and if thats what he wants to do to protect his stocks fair enough, somebody once told me that a 20lb fish is worth about 10 grand, if i had fish worth that much i wouldn't allow people to use hooks when they are fishing!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Instead of the plastic ban why not certify our set ups at the shop. A bailiff could check our rigs and sign the day ticket.

Are all artificial baits banned on the water - if so I presume this also means lures/plugs/spinners/foam/cork/flies?

Does the club think boilies will just fall off a hair of a broken hooklength?

If your club is that concerned about fish with hooks and broken line they will also need to impose a minimum main line / hooklength rule.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I am relying on the providers of excellent advice who know what they are talking about. Thanks in advance.

A water i fish has just introduced some new rules.

"No Plastic Baits, No Fixed Leads - We will be doing random checks"

The rationale for this is

"If you crack off the rig is always fishing as the plastic bait can not come off."

I know that if we don't like the rules we can fish elsewhere but having seen videos by the likes of Danny Fairbrass and co,

In which they use plastic baits so i am struggling with this one.

I usually fish the odd grain of plastic corn or a group of plastic maggots.

I also use drilled boillies with foam inserts or just a piece of yellow foam.

I keep thinking they are wrong - what do you think?

does it matter what "you" think ,rules is rules you follow them or go elswhere .the owners can insist you stand up by banning chairs its their water they can do as they please.There is no right or wrong the owners are always right and your wrong ,its their land and if you wan to use it you comply.

if i owned the water and spotted you dissing my decision you would be banned thats life good or bad

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Instead of the plastic ban why not certify our set ups at the shop. A bailiff could check our rigs and sign the day ticket.

Because what's to stop you fishing with a different rig? How many times do you start fishing one method or rig but by the end of the day you are fishing in a different style.

Plus the logistics of checking every one would be a nightmare.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Are all artificial baits banned on the water - if so I presume this also means lures/plugs/spinners/foam/cork/flies?

If your club is that concerned about fish with hooks and broken line they will also need to impose a minimum main line / hooklength rule.

well i have asked them the following

Does this include Avid Carp Corn Stops and Sight Stops

Corn Stops and highlites used in combination with real baits?

What about plastic lures/plugs/spinners/foam or cork cored boillies or flies?

Why not introduce a minimum main line / hooklength strength rule?

Instead of the plastic ban why not certify our set ups at the shop.

A bailiff could check our rigs and sign the day ticket.

i agree about the boillies - how long do they last on the hook?

Saying that though if there are no fixed leads they shouldn't be expecting crack offs so the plastic baits shouldn't be left there.....

Whether the lead is running,semi fixed or fixed wont be the cause of crack offs. Also a lot of semi fixed "safe rigs" Ive seen are in actual practice anything but.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Whether the lead is running,semi fixed or fixed wont be the cause of crack offs. Also a lot of semi fixed "safe rigs" Ive seen are in actual practice anything but.

exactly Budgie. any rig wrongly tied or attached could be lethal if cracked off.

every angler has to visit the baliff's hut to buy a day ticket, why not just have a quick check of gear then and the baliff sign the day ticket to certify that the set up was ok at that point. the water says they are available to give advice, surely this is there chance.

i am not convinced all is about fish care, i think there is an element of selling bait as well.

Having asked the question about lures/plugs/spinners/foam/cork/flies they have so far not replied - i guess they may not.

It’s a good job i am 6 foot tall - blonde hair and blue eyes and like to burn books. What next?

I will let you know if they reply