please look at this - is it right or wrong thinking

teddy

Having asked the question about lures/plugs/spinners/foam/cork/flies they have so far not replied - i guess they may not.

It’s a good job i am 6 foot tall - blonde hair and blue eyes and like to burn books. What next?

I will let you know if they reply

I have not had a reply from the management despite having twice PMd - an unofficial reply i have had is that "plastic lures/plugs/spinners do not carry on fishing if they are lost".

I disagree with this view as the pike are so voracious - they take anything that’s lying on the bottom.

I will let you know how it goes.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use plastic baits a lot but I have to concede that if an angler does crack off the rig will be happily fishing away for ever. So if anglers on this lake are regularly suffering breakages, the rule kind of makes sense.

As Budgie said though, the problem is not the fake baits - it's the anglers who are leaving rigs in the water. Don't crack off and there isn't a problem!

I doubt selling bait is a motive. I expect they're just getting tired of clearing up after anglers who are trying to run before they can walk. Not that that's any comfort to the people like you who are caught up in it all...

If it does go through, I would find ways of complying with the letter but not the spirit of the rule. For example, a yellow pop-up boilie is easily trimmed to the size and shape of a bit of fake corn and would do exactly the same job equally well. Let it go though and work around it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I use plastic baits a lot but I have to concede that if an angler does crack off the rig will be happily fishing away for ever.

I wonder how long it would take for a cracked off plastic bait to be so covered in sediment, algae and general gunge that it is no longer mistaken for food? And how that would compare to a shelf life boilie or pellet? I think it would depend on the particular water, but in many cases I reckon there wouldn't be all that much difference.

Perhaps what is needed is a slow dissolving or fairly quickly biodegradable material for hairs?

Or some casting lessons? :rolleyes:

Exactly, the answer is to bring basic angling ability up. Everyone's an expert now, but strangely the basic level of skill of many anglers is getting lower and lower.

It must be a nightmare to have to manage lakes now, I'm not surprised many take the easy route and just start banning things. If you've given people a chance and they've let you down, what can you do? Unfortunately it means that people who know what they're doing get caught in the crossfire.

On the other hand, if this ban is based on nothing but the fevered imaginings of a paranoid baliff, it has no basis in fact and is just going to wind people up.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No matter how you dress it up a fake bait attached to a hook is a reel nasty death trap for fish as well as birds etc. I've never been a fan of fake baits for that very reason.

But only if not attached to a properly fished and supervised rod!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

But only if not attached to a properly fished and supervised rod!

Yeah, I'm not saying ban plastic/ fake baites but I'd prefer to steer clear of them as no matter how strong your line is or how safe of a rig your using you can still get snapped off via objects in the water etc and the bait is there for god only knows how long waiting to be swallowed up along with the hook. I suppose on waters that do allow them it's simply up to the angler if they want to use them or not.

Maybe it would be worth looking for some hooks that soon rust away. I've often wondered why hooks are made to last for so long when most anglers throw them away after a short session (especially in the smaller hooks).

Edited by Tigger

Or some casting lessons? :rolleyes:

Don't you be coming along with your common sense!

It's always lowest common denominator with this sort of regulations, though.

Yeah, I'm not saying ban plastic/ fake baites but I'd prefer to steer clear of them as no matter how strong your line is or how safe of a rig your using you can still get snapped off via objects in the water etc and the bait is there for god only knows how long waiting to be swallowed up along with the hook. I suppose on waters that do allow them it's simply up to the angler if they want to use them or not.

I know what your saying mate. It can obviously be argued that a fake bait will last longer (so be a potential danger longer) than a real one but any lost baited hook represents a danger.I reckon a lost bunch of real maggots stands more chance of being taken by a bird/fish much more than a plastic set up even if it only lasts a few days!

So should real baits be banned!

Lost tackle causes no end of damage to wildlife so should all tackle be banned? In fact lets just ban angling!

But of course none of the above will happen (I hope!) so I suppose it could be argued that any bans are pointless really.I think a lot of bans like this are "knee jerk" reactions but what else can fisheries do to be seen to be trying to solve a problem.

In the ideal world anglers would have high enough basic skills to stop this sort of thing happening regularly enough for it to be seen as an avoidable problem! But how would this be brought in?

I really believe its down to the trend of going straight to fishing for big fish using advanced tactics before the basics are learned but whether I like it or not its here to stay so bans like these will be inevitable.

Maybe our celebrity/sponsored/"professional" anglers could make it "cool" to learn the basics and work your way up again?...................................but where would the profit be in that I suppose..............................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!