To early for the surface?

Chub Frenzy

Hi all,

Hopefully getting out in a few days, head down to a nearby carp pool. The carp can get up 2 20lbs, and last summer caught a few largies on the surface.

Do u think its time for surface agin or is it too soon.

Thanks

theres only really one way to find out and thats loose feeding some floating freebies like bread. i like to offer the carp some throughout the day to get them switched on and start fishing the surface later in the evening if they are confidently taking off the surface :)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Both tactics work all year round, they are just a lot more effective in warmer weather when the carp are feeding a lot more and taking baits off the surface or near the surface.

Even in winter you see carp cruising the surface, it doesn't mean they will want to feed or take your bait though.

When fishing at this time of year try throwing a few bits of bread crust or dog biscuits into the margins or by lilies or something every now and then, if the fish take them get them competing for the food then put your bait in amongst them.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

What about the pellett wagler, too early?

No not to early , at a match at stubb pond 2 weeks ago a guy had 127lb fishing 2 pegs from me and id left my pellet waggler at home :rolleyes:

What i tend to do is start with a large pouch of 6mm pellets and there after just plop out 2 every 20 or 30 seconds and just keep an eye out movement and if after 30 minutes nothing then you can always cast a straight lead over the top of the feed and keep on feeding this way catching a few and if all goes to plan they will start coming up in the water and you can switch back to the waggler , this is one of my favourite tactics and can amass a huge weight very quickly when it goes right :)

On managed type waters that hold mixed species or general carp fisheries (not commercial types) I have found that if you can get them feeding on the top early in the year they are easier to fool than later on once they have wised up.

Saw a shoul of Rudd mop up a few bits of an anglers left over bread Wednesday evening.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!