lambourn monster?!

viney

I'm not sure these large Trout are escapees. Does anyone know of a fish farm that regularly grows Trout to that size that is located close enough to the banks of the Lambourn to allow the fish to somehow 'escape' and end up in the river?! My guess is that they are fed like pets on the private stretches of the Lambourn (with gardens backing onto the river) when the owners feed the ducks and grow to massive sizes on a diet of bread! One day they decide to go for a little explore and end up getting caught in the town stretches. A lot of them are caught on floating bread which is perhaps further proof. Also, the majority of the large fish that I have heard about/seen pics of are all Browns! Although it's not obvious, the fish in Steve's pic is actually a Brownie. Also, the massive fish that was caught below the weir was also a Brownie Steve! I think that people assume a large Trout has to be a Rainbow and also an escapee. These fish get caught regularly enough throughout the season to not be 'escapees'.

Also, perhaps we shouldn't be advertising this too much on an open forum - might attract the wrong crowd to the river...

Edited by Nicholas S

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables