Mullet watch 2003

Guest sslatter

Guest sslatter

For the last 4 weeks or so, I’ve been checking my local estuary for any signs of returning mullet, but up to yesterday, not a sausage. I went down a couple of hours ago, to have a look at the river, and guess what? The biggest shoal of mullet I've ever seen! For as far as I could see upstream and downstream there were mullet upending in the mud shallows (low tide) with their tails coming out of the water. I can't even guess how many there were down there..500-1000? More? Most looked to be around the 2lb mark, but here and there were bigger ones. Amazing stuff. So, dust your rods off south coast mullet fans…they're back at last! And guess where I'm going later? YEEEEEEEEEEEHAH!

[ 25. March 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Havent heard of any in the Suffolk, Deben, Stour or Orwell.

I think the Orwell has held the British record a few time.

Last year a netsman was spotted with his nets across the entrance to the new part of Trimley nature reserve. When Felixstowe dock was extended and an massive wading bird area lost they made an inland sort of flood plain and cut out part of the sea wall.

At high tide it floods and gets full up with all sorts of fish including bass and mullet.

When the tide goes out it empties of water and gives wading birds an area in which to feed in.

The netsmans nets were full up as he pulled them in which was witnessed by several bird watchers.

The marinas along the Orwell fill up with mullet during the summer months but they are still a pig to catch!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Graham X:

For the last 4 weeks or so, I’ve been checking my local estuary for any signs of returning mullet, but up to yesterday, not a sausage. I went down a couple of hours ago,  to have a look at the river, and guess what? The biggest shoal of mullet I've ever seen! For as far as I could see upstream and downstream there were mullet upending in the mud shallows (low tide) with their tails coming out of the water. I can't even guess how many there were down there..500-1000? More? Most looked to be around the 2lb mark, but here and there were bigger ones. Amazing stuff. So, dust your rods off south coast mullet fans…they're back at last! And guess where I'm going later? YEEEEEEEEEEEHAH!

Caught any yet??

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Probably a shoal of thin lipped mullet.

When the mullet first appear, they are in large shoals that break up into smaller feeding shols as the water gets warmer.

Chippy, down in Jersey, filmed this early season shoal a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.chippyjersey.co.uk/First%20Mull...llet%20Seen.wmv

(best to right click on the link and download it to your hard disk to play from there)

I've had a report of two fish being taken at Lewes a couple of weeks ago, but so far the water temperature in the Medway has stubbornly stayed just below 10C :( (It needs to be over 10C for the fish to feed).

I spotted a small patch of algae, which has been grazed by mullet, near Sun Pier during the week, and fish were spotted in the Swale last weekend, but I think that it will be at least couple of weeks before it's worth fishing for them.

Tight Lines - leon

Medway Mullet Group

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/medway

ps I've just sent Elton an updated water temperature chart to load to the MMG pages. This contains a record of past early season Medway water temperature and observations, since 1999.

There's some useful stuff in those figures and observations if you think about it carefully.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust