Do Fish Feel Pain

Newt

Just wanted to post a link to a good article from Dr. James Rose, University of Wyoming, with his conclusion that they do not (can not really) along with the reasoning and links to supporting documents. Article gets a bit technical in spots but is excellent. Here.

The PETA response Here basically says Dr. Rose is wrong and shouldn't be allowed to write such things because he likes to fish. Huh!!!

In other responses, Animal Pain and the Cruelty of God concludes they don't because God wouldn't have made things that way - too cruel.

But the base article is well worth a read.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a useful contact:

Dawn Carr - 757-622-7382

Dawn is, apparently, the "Fishing campaign coordinator" for PETA.

I'm sure there are more than the, quoted 700,000, PETA members in terms of Anglers the world over - what say we all give her a call and ask, very politely, what her qualifications are for rubbishing the work of a fish biologist?

I must stress the words "very politely" in the comment above - we do ourselves no favours whatsoever by being as abusive, rude or disruptive as PETA has proven itself in the past.

As to whether fish feel pain - first define pain. It's obvious they feel "injurious stimuli" and that they can learn to avoid the causes of such stimuli - however, do they "suffer" because of it? Surely that is the real question - they're frequently observed to continue feeding and often be recaptured by the same anglers after being released - from this we can easily draw the conclusion that they "suffer no harm from the experience, given correct handling and care".

All the best to you and yours,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Hi Newt....Dr Roses's paper is thought provoking.

He acknowledges that fish excrete stress hormones

when caught...this is of but little importance

in US,where,say,a carp will experience this very

rarely.However,in UK with highly pressurised

waters....different scenario...

Be Lucky! ....miasma..

Dear Newt,

Interesting piece by Dr Rose.

I dont think I'll bother wasting the price of a phone call to Dawn Carr though Adz. Unless of course, she might be willing to pop round and help with next years bait making campaign. Then she'll know what hard work is after both chest freezers are full to bursting.

Better not let her look in the third freezer though.

Fish dont feel pain, but I certainly do when I can't catch the blighters!!

Regards,

Lee.

Very interesting Newt, it's already printed off & put to one side for future reference.

Raised an interesting point though, I've read elsewhere that fish & birds have similar nervous systems & seen it used as evidence that fish feel pain. However, surely the fact that one is warm blooded & the other is cold blooded is proof enough to make that particular evidence invalid.

As I see it, fish operate at body temps that would paralyse the nervous system of warm blooded animals, Do you agree? or have I missed something very basic.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

peter mccue:

As I see it, fish operate at body temps that would paralyse the nervous system of warm blooded animals, Do you agree? or have I missed something very basic.

They operate at body temperatures that would kill a warm blooded animal very quickly.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

This topic is both vast and complicated, and I have no intention of reviewing the evidence here. However, the Rose piece is just one of many scientific papers that deal with this topic, and I urge all of you not to treat it is isolation.

The most recent scientific review (in which I had a hand, on the quiet!) summarises current scientific opinion on what fish feel, and what they do not, and it then draws certain conclusions based on this evidence. In my view - and I have beeen tracking this topic for more than 20 years - the balance of evidence comes out strongly against any proof that fish feel pain. The evidence is multifaceted - from anatomical, physiological, neurobiological and behavioural studies. Yes, I have the original papers, all 5 box files full!

Don't confuse the science with what PETA or other antis spout. Generally, they don't have a clue about fish biology, and their interpretation of the 'facts' is uninformed, selective and illogical.

As this site is probably monitored by our enemies, I will say no more.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

I myself have had words with PETA in the past. For the most part I let them know my dislike for their organization but, I kept it at a professional level.

One thing I would like to stress to anyone considering contacting PETA. Be Careful What You Say. The last thing we (anglers) need is someone shooting off at the mouth and saying something that may make the fishing community as a whole look bad or unintelligent. If you do contact them please pick and chose your words carefully and maintain a professional attitude.

Thanks

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell

If fish dont feel pain the bolt rig would not work. It is obvious they feel pain. Ever had a pike flick about when the hook is being removed? Or a bleak jump about like crazy trying to get off the hook when being swung in? This guy talks c**p!

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com