Better luck next time

Jeff S

Today I went fishing with the full intent of catching pike. I fished deep and slow in 10-20 feet of water with rubber worms with a 7/0 circle hook rigged with an 18 inch/ 20 lb trace and 30 lb braid. Now the formidable question. Where are the pike? The only thing that I caught was an 8 inch perch on a white worm that was just about as long as the fish was. I also tried a homemade copper spoon that I had hammered dimples into. I found that by changing the shape I could dictate how fast the spoon would flutter to the bottom. I’ve read threads on here about catching on the fall. Tried it and still no luck. I’d say better luck next time, but as I have been searching for these pike with all manner of bait… Mackerel and herring fished dead. I am thinking about using bait taken from the river. All I have to do is catch them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I hope everyone had a Happy Christmas.

Cheers

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Don't takefrom the river if you can help it. I buy dead bait roach from the takle shop, they are bound to take them, plus Ive found that it's difficult to get them to take a salt water fish, but someone will come up with a contradictory view I expect.

I just got back from an all day pike session and didnt get as much as a sniff.Its the first time that i have blanked on this water but i had not fished it for about two months.I was just wondering if the cold weather has affected my dead bait mackeral? I'll have to try new baits next time as i varied my tactics all day and got nowhere.

last time out on an estate lake caught on bottom fished herring and popped up dead roach.both covered in makeral oil.keep trying and try to find a feeding time that,s the key.cheers big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

Timely I think - read the lure article I just posted. One for the lure angler.

It may give you ideas. :)

[ 28. December 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. The bait center here in town has quite a bit to choose from, so I'll give them a go. Any reason why I should not take them from the river? Newt, always good for a few tips. If I remember right it was one of your posts last year in regards to taking spoons on the fall. I'm always up for new ideas at least until I find something that works. Seems to keep me warm over here. I'll be up and at it again tomorrow but me thinks it'll be earlier than it was today.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

It's OK to take them from the river provided they don't get transported elsewhere - moving fish between waters without the correct documentation is an offence. Nobody will normally complain if you take a couple of small fish to use as pike bait, but you will get complaints if you're seen to be stocking up for use elsewhere (back to the old 'who owns the fishing rights and hence the fish' scenario). As you've probably seen here already however this is one of those issues that divides UK anglers, particularly if you're intending on using them as live bait. At the end of the day if you're using deadbait then it's probably easier and less hassle (and more reliable!) to buy then pre-packaged.

[ 28. December 2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Thanks DavidP, as it stands I am trying to "learn" the local water and its all on the same river so there shouldn't be a transportation problem. I'll ask at the bait shop what is exceptable and what isn't. Did you mean moving fish from fisheries on the same river? I have about 12 miles to fish. Not trying to be obtuse just curious.

I've found some interesting reading here even a post from a suspected peta member. Anyone remember Tackle Box?

Cleaning up after other anglers is what bothers me. There is enough rubbish already in the river from non-anglers without having to contribute. So I pick up what I find.

Cheers

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Moving fish between stretchs of the same river is an interesting thought as in theory it's the same venue. Bit of a grey area I'd think. I was refering to moving them between different bodies of water ie from river to lake, lake to lake etc.

As to the litter, then I'm afraid you've discovered one of the UK's more unpleasant habits - find a beautiful spot then despoil it with your rubbish. Sadly anglers are not immune to this, even on venues at risk of being lost to angling because of littering. Some anglers just seem incapable of cleaning up after themselves or others and so sadly it's left to people like yourself and other similar minded anglers to try and keep things clean.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I think the problem with fish movement relates to moving them from one water to another, in live state of course, dead its o.k. Fished as live in the same water its allowed, except in the lake district where you can do neither.

:mad:

I forgot that you are one of our colonial friends, and I commend you for your ant-litter attidude. I have, although I should'nt really, a little bonfire, especially with line. :D