Good guppy eater?

ColinW

One of the girls has a tank in the corner of the living room that I seem to have inherited responsibility for. The "interesting" fish have long since expired and now it contains nothing but hundreds of guppies. What can I put in there to thin them down a bit? Preferably something that will start on the babies and work its way up as it gets bigger in a not too horrifically quick and attention drawing manner (so don't say an oscar!)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you not give them to a local fish shop? We've got a similar problem with our canary cichlids, but have arranged to offload some onto our local fish shop guy. Just got to get round to it.

One of the girls has a tank in the corner of the living room that I seem to have inherited responsibility for. The "interesting" fish have long since expired and now it contains nothing but hundreds of guppies. What can I put in there to thin them down a bit? Preferably something that will start on the babies and work its way up as it gets bigger in a not too horrifically quick and attention drawing manner (so don't say an oscar!)
Tinfoil barbs.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Bit of a tankbuster, though, no?
Yeah I guess they are. When I was a nipper my Dad had a big tank with half a dozen or so big Tinfoils in it. I used to love feeding them guppies. We had a couple of tanks full of guppies just to feed the fish that liked a bit of real meat from time to time.

I can't really think of anything that will eat all the guppies and not grow to be quite large.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Me neither. Getting something in to eat the fry might be easier, once the adults have been hived off elsewhere. I should think most things eat guppy fry.

Hmm, dwarf pike cichlid? Never kept them, and they might be a bit tricky, but they don't get too big.
I was thinking about some cichlids, but they can be a bit expensive and a bit finicky about their water. Edited by corydoras

I should think most things eat guppy fry.
Guppies love 'em ;)

Hmm, dwarf pike cichlid? Never kept them, and they might be a bit tricky, but they don't get too big.
I had never heard of them until your post today. They look like quite a nice fish to keep.

Youtube Video ->