Good guppy eater?

ColinW

Angelfish? Fairly robust, max 4-6" and will eat nearly anything. Also possibly Synodontis Nigriventris (upside down catfish), tough and interesting and not too big.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angelfish? Fairly robust, max 4-6" and will eat nearly anything. Also possibly Synodontis Nigriventris (upside down catfish), tough and interesting and not too big.

Renrag

I've been reading a bit and angelfish does seem to be about right. Like I said I don't want something too extreme! I also don't want anything that is going to be too fussy about water quality so I suppose cichlids are out. If I can just stop them reproducing it would be a start!

Edited by ColinW

Technically, angelfish are cichlids ;)

I think they're quite a good shout, actually. I've always been unlucky with them, but they should be reasonably hardy and are easily available.

Spend a bit extra and get ones in the 2-3" range, they take ages to grow on 'normal' fishfood, then they'll go straight after the fry and smaller guppies.

Plus, by that age, the ones with weaker immune systems have already died off. If you do go for the smaller (cheaper) ones though, they'll only be able to eat the fry and expect a survival ratio of about 1 in 4. They've been inbred too much in the trade and weak fish are the norm.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

If you do go for the smaller (cheaper) ones though, they'll only be able to eat the fry and expect a survival ratio of about 1 in 4. They've been inbred too much in the trade and weak fish are the norm.

That's an interesting comment, and goes a long way towards explaining the problems we had with them - tumours, deformities, swim bladder abnormalities, etc, all of which developed long term as the fish grew.

As I've said in other posts, I have bred many fish, Angels being one such species (egg eating swines!!!) and trying to breed from regular stock, especially when bought young (and cheap) is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. It works out cheaper to buy a pair of good sized Angels that you can be fairly certain have passed the developmental stages than buying 8 juveniles, most of which will bloody die! And in doing so possibly affect the water quality.

Ended up buying a pair of F2's for my breeding project, from different places to avoid inbreeding and the resulting mess that follows. Bigger ones are also much easier to sex.

I still recommend them as guppy hunters, despite the drawbacks and on a regular diet of live food, you'll be unlucky if a pair DOESN'T breed in good water conditions and pH6-8.4. Don't worry, they'll eat their own eggs unless you remove the site (usually a smooth slate).

I used Platy fry to condition my pair.

Renrag

How about a pair of Kribensis they will settle down well in the tank and snack on the fry but then again if they settle in well they will no doubt breed and your back to square one.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

How about a pair of Kribensis they will settle down well in the tank and snack on the fry but then again if they settle in well they will no doubt breed and your back to square one.
That's not a bad idea. The Kribs will breed though. You might be able to swap them for goods at your fish shop.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

One of the girls has a tank in the corner of the living room that I seem to have inherited responsibility for. The "interesting" fish have long since expired and now it contains nothing but hundreds of guppies. What can I put in there to thin them down a bit? Preferably something that will start on the babies and work its way up as it gets bigger in a not too horrifically quick and attention drawing manner (so don't say an oscar!)

Guppies. Adult guppies have to be separated from their off spring when they are born so they don't eat them all.