Don't buy fish like these...

Renrag39

Are you playing Devils Advocate Cory?

Not that I know of LR, I just saw the link in my PFK newsletter and thought I'd share it. Its an issue but I guess a relatively minor one compared to the wastage issues.

Not 'too' bothered about the longfinned Koi myself Dales, most seem to do just fine but I really hate the Parrot Cichlid Sp, bubble eyed goldfish and other genetically deformed fish. Long fins I can just about accept, although in fin nippers it IS bloody stupid, but when the skeletal and organ structure are mutated, it does upset me to a degree.

GITD and Dyed fish just seem so unnecessary to me. So many die as a result of the 'treatments' given to them when Dyed. Not sure how they make the fish GITD so I should really reserve judgement.

So maybe I should re-name the thread title, 'Don't buy these fish, except the normal bodied longfinned ones, but use common sense with them and tbh I don't know how they make fish GITD'.

Far more catchy methinks...

Renrag

No I'm not playing Devil's Advocate at all. 'Glow In The Dark" fish are made exactly the same way as GITD mice. It is done using a method called "gene splicing". You take the "glow in the dark" gene from a jelly-fish and insert it into the DNA of a fish egg. No "dye" is "injected" into the fish.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I found that out last night actually, they can also use firefly DNA, or any of the bioluminescent animals I believe.

Not sure where I stand on this, not made my mind up yet. I suppose I could be indifferent but thats so not me!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I like to be bioluminescent. I'd make a fortune DJing.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

then you can go fishing yourself mate. pure fly and midge attractor! and spooking fish
Bio-luminescent live bait might just be the thing for a night time piking session ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

so your saying i should rig up andy and see what happens, if live bait dont work i suppose i could insert a wobble bar somewhere :D
My mum told me about boy's like you.

I can assure you, nobody will be inserting anything anywhere.... :angry:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• 8 months later...

do you think that glow in the dark fish would make good baits?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

do you think that glow in the dark fish would make good baits?
They might, but you would have to have deep pockets.