Don't buy fish like these...

Renrag39

Cory,

While they have a low survival rate glow in the dark minnows (as we use the word) are easy (goldfish seem to be the most "tranluscent" going in). Equally -- making glow in the dark lobs is easy. Problem is they don't work very well. Minnows, if you want them to really glow you have to shine an intense light on them before casting.

Azrael,

I don't know the science of why but my experience is they don't work well.

Phone

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phone

The original post was about GloFish. These are not dyed or made to glow by food supplements, but rather by injecting jellyfish genes into them when they were embryos. Thus the glow in the dark properties are passed to the fishes decendants. Note that Glo Fish are not merely fluorescent they are bio-LUMINESCENT.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I feel so sorry for the Bubble Head fish. I've seen them swimming around and they look so awkward with the bubbles moving around in all directions. I wish people would stop messing with nature and leave it be!

I feel so sorry for the Bubble Head fish. I've seen them swimming around and they look so awkward with the bubbles moving around in all directions. I wish people would stop messing with nature and leave it be!

some time nature needs some enhancing

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Not a fan of fancy goldfish, personally. We used to have one in the koi pond which was such a pathetic swimmer that I was always rescuing it from the filters after a trip through the bottom drain.

some time nature needs some enhancing

No it doesn't!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I like a bit of gravy with my roast nature.

Don't we all, but made of natural ingredients surely? :icecream:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

An interesting artical. Although I entirely agree that the idea of tatooing fish is disgusting, I have to say that medling with fish genetics has gone on for centuries and we have been complicit. The natural colour of a goldfish is actually brown / bronze, as is the common carp. Selective breeding has created the koi and coloured goldfish that we see everywhere today. It is unlikely that brightly coloured fish would survive in the wild if they were spawned in the natural environment as they would face a much higher risk of predation. Yes, we do see koi in fisheries but they are introduced as adult fish.

Will neon angelfish and convict cochlids become an accepted sight here in the UK? Probably!