Don't buy fish like these...

Renrag39

It is unlikely that brightly coloured fish would survive in the wild if they were spawned in the natural environment as they would face a much higher risk of predation.

Over the years, I have caught a fair number of largish (pound or more) goldfish when fishing for bluegills. Most likely they were taken to the water to use for bait and either escaped or were dumped when the day's session was over. They would have been released as very small fish (a few grams) on large waters with significant pred populations.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sort of thing is sick and I urge all fishkeepers who GIVE a sh1t to boycott fish like these.

The retailers will stop buying them if they're not selling and maybe one day the practice will stop.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/cont...tm_content=html

Renrag

Totally agree with you Renrag. I hate hybrids or tribreds or man made fish in most animals....Yuk.

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

The natural colour of a goldfish is actually brown / bronze, as is the common carp.

I'd like to track some down for Andy's tank. Little commons were discussed but I think they'd grow too quickly and foul the tank all the time, apart from making a complete mess with their resculpting behaviours, so I thought brown Goldfish would be quite good.

I know they're not 'natural' in the indigenous sense, which does kinda go against the idea behind his tank but they'd certainly be natural-looking coldwater species and they'd probably fit the look of the tank.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...