Question for the forum about a card?

I have just "Acquired" a Geovision 650/750/800 V3 01 Card which I believe is a graphics card? It is or has two "D" plugs/sockets on the plate and the top one has CH1-8 and the bottom one CH9-16 upon it. But question is what have I got? It also has a multi lead with a black plug which I take it plugs into the black socket? And that has four white jack plugs on (With a female plug) and 8 co-ax type sockets which have the two "TWIST" on to lock type lugs.

Anyone any good ideas of it's worth please or use even?? I just searched ebay and the one on there is in the USA and is slightly different and is listed at $195 make me an offer?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I have just "Acquired" a Geovision 650/750/800 V3 01 Card which I believe is a graphics card? It is or has two "D" plugs/sockets on the plate and the top one has CH1-8 and the bottom one CH9-16 upon it. But question is what have I got? It also has a multi lead with a black plug which I take it plugs into the black socket? And that has four white jack plugs on (With a female plug) and 8 co-ax type sockets which have the two "TWIST" on to lock type lugs.

Anyone any good ideas of it's worth please or use even?? I just searched ebay and the one on there is in the USA and is slightly different and is listed at $195 make me an offer?

You have yourself a video capture card there!If it's what I'm thinking it is

http://www.geovisiongv.com/GV650.html

You will need decent software but they do produce some nice results when set up correctly!

The review here might help you out:

http://www.amazon.com/GeoVision-GV-650-Vid...r/dp/B000Q5GLOI

Usually used for video surveillance and capture but I've known them to run wildlife cams in nest boxes etc as well

Edited by kirisute

WOW!! Seems I got a BIT of a bargain?? Thanks VERY much for your help my friend.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

WOW!! Seems I got a BIT of a bargain?? Thanks VERY much for your help my friend.
Did you get the software too? It cost more than the card.

http://www.geovisiongv.com/geovision-software.html

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Did you get the software too? It cost more than the card.

http://www.geovisiongv.com/geovision-software.html

its often the way with these devices; i think you will find that there are cheaper solutions that will allow video capture from a DV video source...off the top of my head i think the Roxio set of video suites do and also the Pinnacle studio stuff. you copuld also spend more cash on solution from Adobe etc.

once the drivers are installed and your cameras are running im pretty sure most video editing suites will recognise the DV input and allow you to stream video to application.

its one of those "niche" products though so you might have to spend good money before you get truly decent results; and of course you will need to invest in cameras as well!

I have found drivers etc. from the good old Drivers Inc. site! (Or whatever it is called!) That is a copy of 8.03. But the card and flying lead are free?? So what's the harm with trying to sell it on flea bay?? GOT to be worth a punt eh??

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

post-1123-1303118248_thumb.jpg

Does this look OK???

Chris Goddard

post-1123-1303118248_thumb.jpg

Does this look OK???

dunno mate; not without doing some research into exactly what you need to get these things up and running..though ive seen them ive had no professional time with them to get them working or know exactly whats needed for them.

im presuming they end up as a digital input on your pc, the cams are then connected to the back and the software provides a "live" feed that can be viewed or recorded; but because they are DV then the output is far superior than webcams etc (think more tv use etc)

as for taking a punt on ebay....why the hell not? i would think they are the kind of thing that "someone in the know" would snap up if they come up at the right price.

you will need on of these at least, 103730894-260x260-0-0_Geovision%20Dvr%20Cable%20For%20Geovision%208bnc%20Brand%20New%20L.jpg

there is another cable like this one but that has audio connections on it. (notice on your card you have 2 vga type connections).

each camera connects to the bnc on the end, obviously :D each camera has its own individual power source that is not powered from the card.

in my opinion though these are a lot more hassle than they are worth. i worked on a few and on one last month in a restaurant with 12 cameras that were regularly cutting out as the pc was used for other things and could not handle it.

the software is overly complicated and bloated and slow, this on a pc with 8gb ram and decent cpu and graphics (built for cctv system).

i tell everyone who considers getting these to steer well clear as they go wrong more than a dedicated cctv unit due to, in most part, the windows operating system.

an actual CCTV DVR is FAR cheaper, maintenance free and far superior in ease of use and runs on its own operating system.

most people i talk to about it seem under the impression its so they can view the office cameras from home but this can also be done with a dedicated DVR as they now come with network capabilities and a lot less hasle to configure, they also think storage space is an issue but in actual fact the hard drive in the DVR's are just standard 3.5" IDE hard drives from a pc so you can upgrade them easily if you need more space, they also already come now with terrabyte hard drives.

the cctv system i managed in my old work place ran constantly for 3 years before we moved without needing maintenance done and was only ever accessed when we had a break in.

ive been to the restaurant 3 times in 1 month to fix the pc based cctv system

also, would you leave your pc on 24/7.

if you want cctv sell that card and get an actual CCTV DVR.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk