fequency of rod licence checking

Bradford Angler

In the last 3 years i have never had my licence checked ..... Is it worth buying one My answer is YES .... i would rather have one than get a £1000 fine for the sake of the cost of a licence and trip to the post office. I also agree that the people who own or run fisheries should ask for your licence they are quick enough to relieve you of your money to fish there..... maybe there could be some way that they could also benefit from the revenue that is collected ...... or even some of the money the angler is fined could go towards them, im sure if they had an incentive to check they would soon comform.....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferret1959:

So if you went out and checked licenses(as you can if you hold one yourself)and found some one who hadn't got one or couldn't produce one, then what????????

A quick call to the EA then? I personally don't have a mobile but I've heard them ring on the bank. Usually to the tone of "no nothing yet". I've been reading through archives :D and have seen numbers for them.

On the archives, I just found them but now realize how redundant it all is. Take the time to read and do a search and there it is. Thanks to all for the amount of information. Still looking for that first pike (they've been avoiding me :mad: )

Taking both licenses with me tomorrow. Bailiffs watchout. :D Snow is still on the ground so we'll see how the lures work..

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Well to be honest, I cant believe some folk. I buy my licence every year on the due date . I am not saying that I am a do gooder in any way, but come on chaps this revenue helps keep our fisheries going what with all the greenpeacers out there trying to ban our sport, lets keep the tax man and the government happy

PAY THE SUBS CHAPS WHAT'S THE GRIPE? :mad:

(feedback please) :confused:

I've had mine checked 3 times in the last 5 years (& I never match fish) including last year's fish-in that I organised on the Kennet. In appalling conditions (a howling gale which felled at least two trees on the fishery during our stay) I think the guy was rather surprised to find so many folks on the bank! On of our party - who shall remain nameless!- couldn't find his - so quick as a flash the baliff was on the phone checking out his Car Reg. to check he was who he said he was and I think he was close to issuing some kind of warrant when, thankfully, the licence was found 'in his other coat'!

I have to say the old boy was very polite, pleasant and efficient, unlike another baliff I've come across who was charging around one of our fisheries on a mountain bike. I challenged him, as we often get problems with kids using it as a short-cut, and he whipped out his warrant card and demanded to see my licence!!!

Chris

[ 05. January 2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've been checked just once in over 40 years!

What worries me are the so called anglers who share licences. 'Oh Dave mate, you don't need your licence today, can I use it?'

And then, ofcourse, how effective is the bailff if he should nab a licenceless angler?

'Oh dear Mr Bailiff, I haven't got a licence, I have been a naughty boy, oh well, throw the book at me, my name is Michael Caine and I live at * * * * * * * * * * !!!! :D:D , and can the poor old bailiff prove otherwise?

I've been checked 6 times in 23 years. Three times in Oxfordshire and three times in Surrey, but I have never, nor do I know anyone else, who has ever been checked in Northamptonshire.

For the last 7 years I've held two licences, and the 6 times that I have been checked have been in the last 6 years.

Last year I was checked whilst fishing Nell Bridge, Aynho, where five other carp anglers didn't/couldn't produce licences. They were all named and shamed in not only the angling press, but in the national press as well. :D

Ian, I'm suprised at you! :( Still, as you say, you take your chances and you know the risks.

never in 40 odd years of fishing have i been asked to show my licence.

and thats not just local but all over the place

les

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Peter Waller:

'Oh dear Mr Bailiff, I haven't got a licence, I have been a naughty boy, oh well, throw the book at me, my name is Michael Caine and I live at * * * * * * * * * * !!!! :D:D , and can the poor old bailiff prove otherwise?

Quite a lot, Peter!

Firstly, he or she should point out that it is another offence to provide a false name and/or address to someone who - in respect of his official duties - has the powers of a police officer. Failure to provide a name & address is also an offence.

The bailiff will try to establish the person's identity by asking how he or she got there (and checking this out), asking for confirmation of the name & address supplied, if any, and so on. If needs be, the bailiff will record the reg. nos. of any cars and check them against the DVLC registered keepers or ask other anglers if they know the i.d. of the person. There are several other tricks which often work Finally, he will remind the person of the seriousness of providing no or false information and ask the questions again, recording the answers.

If all else fails, a written description of the person will be recorded on the report book. If he or she apprehended again...

The courts take a dim view of licence cheats. They take a more serious view of lying cheats.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

I have only once been asked for my rod license in over 40 years and that was years ago when licenses were issued by regional water boards and were only valid within the region of issue. We were on holiday in Cornwall with wife's sister and husband and just happened to have the tackle with us, at the local tackle shop we discussed the worth of bothering with a weekly license and decided we had better, just in case. Having found a likely looking pit we took the tackle out of the car and before we had even set a rod up a chap came along and asked for the rod license! I have no time whatsoever for those who cheat, be it rod license, car tax, insurance or whatever, they are bumming a free ride on the backs of those who conform with the law, may they get what they richly deserve and sooner rather than later.