fequency of rod licence checking

Bradford Angler

Bruno. The one time that I had my licence checked I didn't actually have it with me. My name and address was taken, that was it. However, I do talk to the EA at Ipswich re Broadland matters. The two situations that I outlined go on, that I do know, just by listening to anglers talking amongst themselves, both at work and in tackle shops. The EA also tells me that it goes on, they are quite aware of it. Unless they can get a car number plate or boat registration to accompany the anglers address then, effectively, they are pretty powerless. Seems to me that a digital camera would be a useful tool. But the local EA officer tells me no, some anglers are pretty nasty pieces of work and the bailiffs have no one to hurridly call on in an emergency, a camera might only inflame the situation. Anachy on the riverbank does go on. The amount of 'out of season' fishing that goes on on the Broads is incredible, the chance of being caught is less than winning the lottery!

[ 05. January 2003, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ginger:

Having found a likely looking pit we took the tackle out of the car and before we had even set a rod up a chap came along and asked for the rod license!

Just a thought on this, but don't you actually have to be fishing, what's to say that you could have been selling the rod or smothing, o.k. you could of had a box full of tackle but that doesn't need to be licenced, you could of had bank sticks in and such, but unless you are actually fishing can they ask for a licence.

Or maybe this chap wasn't actually an E.A. bailiff.

quote:

Just a thought on this, but don't you actually have to be fishing, what's to say that you could have been selling the rod or smothing, o.k. you could of had a box full of tackle but that doesn't need to be licenced, you could of had bank sticks in and such, but unless you are actually fishing can they ask for a licence.

Or maybe this chap wasn't actually an E.A. bailiff.

I've had mine checked by a Bailiff when carrying unmade up tackle to a reservoir, which I believe the Bailiff has every right to do.

I cannot believe that there are some 'fisherman' around who still do not appreciate or acknowledge what the EA do for our waterways. As has already been mentioned I too hope that the proverbial hits the fan for you and you get everything you deserve.

Paul

Nugg,

Sorry matey, comments not intended at you they were just on the back of my reply to your last post.....badly worded I concede.

Sorry about the confusion

Paul

Peter Waller:

Bruno. The one time that I had my licence checked I didn't actually have it with me.

Snap ! I have only been checked once in over 60 years of angling. By Murphy's law (Elton has a lot to answer for) my licence was in my other fishing jacket (yes I own two!) I must say the young bailiff was very polite, and hid his disbelief at my "likely story" well.

Sent my licence in to the EA and got it back by return of post.

BTW The EA are very generous in allowing you to produce your licence "after the event". In the States, non-production (even if you have one at home) will still get you a whacking fine - that's the case in Texas and Colorado, so I guess it is general there - am I right 'Phone and Newt ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have never been asked in about 5 years but i suggest to Ian that you buy a licence. If caught you will not only get fined, but they can take all your fishing tackle! HORROR! There was a thing in the paper not long ago about sum kids who had all their tackle nicked off some guy predending to be a balif. So ask to see their ID if asked for you licence.

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

les middy:

never in 40 odd years of fishing have i been asked to show my licence.

and thats not just local but all over the place

les

I know Les, you were one of the bright ones on trevs Trent Fish-In to get the bailiff to check mine. First time ever in 40+ years of fishing. Geoff

PS get something organised for your part of the country.