fequency of rod licence checking

Bradford Angler

Hiya Vagabond, I'm sure Newt or Phone can add more. I lived in Texas for three years, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Mississippi as well.

All states are a bit different thus the thread from Newt a while back about it being illegal to use corn in Oregon. It's true!

Game wardens can and sometimes do take your fishing equipment, including vehicle, boat and then on top of that fine you as well. Depending on the severity of the offense. Usually you can dispute a ticket and fine and the wardens aren't always out to get you.

It's always wise to check regulations as they change from state to state. Wardens are allowed to carry firearms and have the power to arrest (in some states) so you should know who they are.

If a bailif had the authorization and backing there might be less of a problem.

Blanked again by the way...

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are several routes a bailiff can go through to check a correct name and address has been given. One is check the electoral roll over his mobile , ask for proof of I.D e.g drving licence passport etc, phone up a relative or friend (obvoiusly on a number given to him by the angler) and ask for a description of the angler and confirmation of the address given. failing all these, if the bailiff believes an offence has been commited he can seize any tackle being used. or if this is opposed, again if he believes an offence has been committed and can not confirm any name and address details given he does have the powers of arrest and can summon the police for assistance.

On the frequency of licences checked. Bailiffs being as they are few in number do tend to cover a large area and licence checking is only one of many responsibilities. If a bailiff checks a water once a week on a different day each week if you fish the same water on the same day each week it could be upto nearly a month before you could be checked. If which is more likely he patrols that water once a month I hate to think what the odds are of one person being apprehended are. If you add the variables of different times off day and fishing varying days of the week then the figures could be mind blowing. The bottom line is if you expect to have your licence checked more frequently then be prepared to shoulder a huge hike in licence prices to civer the wages of extera bailiffs!!! Fish for long enough without a licence and you will eventualy be caught either today tommorow or in 70yrs time!

i to have never been asked for a licence so like ian bass i do not bother to buy them and find the most difficult swims to get to so that i do not get bothered by any balifs that are coming round. And if i cannot find any were suitable then i sit on my boat in the middle of the river were the balifs cannot get to me .

john wilson is god

quote:

i to have never been asked for a licence so like ian bass i do not bother to buy them and find the most difficult swims to get to so that i do not get bothered by any balifs that are coming round. And if i cannot find any were suitable then i sit on my boat in the middle of the river were the balifs cannot get to me .

I'll wager that you've no problem with filling your freezer with out of season Brownies caught on the float too (see Fly Fishing Forum)

Paul

Personally I'd rather see the money spent of fisheries work rather than licence checking. So concentrate the checks on the areas with high concentrations of anglers so they can check more in less time (ie commercials, matches etc) and then let the bailiffs got on with the real fisheries work.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

craig mason:

Do you also pinch old lady's handbags, work whilst claiming dole, run a car without tax m.o.t. and insurance, have an unlicenced t.v.

Well why should you, when everyone else is keeping you going. YOU [EDITED by John S].

[ 11. January 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

Like a lot of the posters on this thread, I've only been asked for my license a handful of times in 40 years of fishing, but I've always had one.

C'mon Craig & Ian use your noggins, the only people your cheating are your fellow fishermen.

Can't see you getting a lot of respect or help from people now they know your license dodgers.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

the reason that i dont get a licence is that i am unemployed but still have to pay full whack for one when the old biddys get a discount on theres. and on top of that a day ticket aswell so i would rather take my chances and not bother to buy a licence as i never see a balif were i go anyway.

john wilson is god

i do buy a day licence as i can only afford to go fishing one a month but would buy a full licence if i as a long term unempolyed person i got a discount on the cost of a licence like the elderly as i cannot afford to buy a full licence at the current price.

john wilson is god