Beginning Float Angler

Cart Man

Thats often the problem, happens all the time. Put it on eBay and spend it on something that works, or put it towards another set-up such as your pole for example.

Nothing wrong with your methods I'm sure, but if the Carp don't respond, then they don't respond. Stay with what you know works. As Newt has said, Pack Baits are what seems to work for your Carp.

You could try using the boilie dough though (just don't boil them) and fish it like a paste. It will leak more flavour into the water but at the expense of longevity.

I think that float fishing book you've gotten will be invaluable to you and certainly extend your fishing repertoire. My favourite book, although slightly outdated, is 'Coarse Fishing by Tony Whieldon'.

Not being funny, but the very fact that it is outdated may suit your waters better as I don't believe they are as heavily pressured as our lakes and rivers. I may well be wrong though!

Good luck with the float fishing Jonathan.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

"I think that float fishing book you've gotten will be invaluable to you and certainly extend your fishing repertoire. My favourite book, although slightly outdated, is 'Coarse Fishing by Tony Whieldon'.

Not being funny, but the very fact that it is outdated may suit your waters better as I don't believe they are as heavily pressured as our lakes and rivers. I may well be wrong though!"

You are not wrong. Almost all US carp are commons and by UK standards, totally unpressured and only accustomed to feeding on natural foods. Most will never have been fished for, not at all educated to take boilies, and not wary of rigs.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thats often the problem, happens all the time. Put it on eBay and spend it on something that works, or put it towards another set-up such as your pole for example.

Nothing wrong with your methods I'm sure, but if the Carp don't respond, then they don't respond. Stay with what you know works. As Newt has said, Pack Baits are what seems to work for your Carp.

You could try using the boilie dough though (just don't boil them) and fish it like a paste. It will leak more flavour into the water but at the expense of longevity.

I think that float fishing book you've gotten will be invaluable to you and certainly extend your fishing repertoire. My favourite book, although slightly outdated, is 'Coarse Fishing by Tony Whieldon'.

Not being funny, but the very fact that it is outdated may suit your waters better as I don't believe they are as heavily pressured as our lakes and rivers. I may well be wrong though!

Good luck with the float fishing Jonathan.

Renrag

Thanks Renrag. I found the book on Amazon for $.54. Ordered it yesterday.

A couple of baits you might want to try - and both are best done using a hair rig - are cubes of potato and range cubes. You can find mention of potatoes as carp bait in some older UK publications (1950s - 1960s). They don't have range cubes so those will not be mentioned.

Range cubes will be available from feed stores if you live in an area where cattle are raised and where they need occasional feed supplements during times when grass is not plentiful. They need a hole drilled using a power drill for putting the hair through. Range cubes are nothing more than a mix of feed grasses (alfalfa and some other goodies) ground up fairly fine, mixed with molasses, and compressed into very hard rods then broken into irregular bits of 1-2 inches in length. They dissolve slowly from the outside which releases the slightly sweet grasses while the center remains hard enough to stay on the hair. Dissolve time varies with water temp but should be at least 3 hours even in fairly warm water.

A 50 lb bag (the smallest quantity available for sale) should be under $15 and as long as you keep them dry, they last just this side of forever. If you can find a farmer who uses them and buys them by the ton or the truck load, you can usually get a bucket full for free just by asking.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A couple of baits you might want to try - and both are best done using a hair rig - are cubes of potato and range cubes. You can find mention of potatoes as carp bait in some older UK publications (1950s - 1960s). They don't have range cubes so those will not be mentioned.

Range cubes will be available from feed stores if you live in an area where cattle are raised and where they need occasional feed supplements during times when grass is not plentiful. They need a hole drilled using a power drill for putting the hair through. Range cubes are nothing more than a mix of feed grasses (alfalfa and some other goodies) ground up fairly fine, mixed with molasses, and compressed into very hard rods then broken into irregular bits of 1-2 inches in length. They dissolve slowly from the outside which releases the slightly sweet grasses while the center remains hard enough to stay on the hair. Dissolve time varies with water temp but should be at least 3 hours even in fairly warm water.

A 50 lb bag (the smallest quantity available for sale) should be under $15 and as long as you keep them dry, they last just this side of forever. If you can find a farmer who uses them and buys them by the ton or the truck load, you can usually get a bucket full for free just by asking.

That actually sounds like great bait, Newt. I'm not sure what I would do with 50 pounds though. Maybe I could crunch it up and feed it to my redworms.

Its like any other bait in that some days the fish think highly of it and some days not so much but for the past several years, it has been my go-to bait for days when the fishing was really tough. I really like it for rivers since the steady stream of food going down stream seems to draw fish pretty well.