chick peas

kirisute

chick peas..found an old tin in the cupboard the other night and didnt have any sweetcorn :(

bit of research showed up a few forums with nods to them being a good bait for carp but very little in the way of hooking them/ feeding them.

i figure im going to give them a try Friday and see how they go at the local carp lake. Bought myself from glug (toffee) and im going to buy a couple of tins of pre-cooked peas.

i figure ill be waggler fishing as per usual and will be hooking them similar to sweetcorn? is that right? any different methodology for hooking them?

any dynamite experiences and techniques to tell me of that i can try?

chick peas..found an old tin in the cupboard the other night and didnt have any sweetcorn :(

bit of research showed up a few forums with nods to them being a good bait for carp but very little in the way of hooking them/ feeding them.

i figure im going to give them a try Friday and see how they go at the local carp lake. Bought myself from glug (toffee) and im going to buy a couple of tins of pre-cooked peas.

i figure ill be waggler fishing as per usual and will be hooking them similar to sweetcorn? is that right? any different methodology for hooking them?

any dynamite experiences and techniques to tell me of that i can try?

Chick peas. Yum. I wonder if you can use humus to make a paste. :g: I have used chick pea flour in boilies. Didn't catch anything, though.

A couple of years ago a chap fishing a few swims away at a commercial was floatfishing them and had a few carp on them that evening. They were outfishing my floatfished luncheonmeat rod but not my surface rod. He was using curried ones from Asda. He gave me some leftovers but I didn't catch on them that day or on subsequent trips. They are soft enough to hook directly, or hair rig if preferred.

A couple of years ago a chap fishing a few swims away at a commercial was floatfishing them and had a few carp on them that evening. They were outfishing my floatfished luncheonmeat rod but not my surface rod. He was using curried ones from Asda. He gave me some leftovers but I didn't catch on them that day or on subsequent trips. They are soft enough to hook directly, or hair rig if preferred.

Well that fills me with confidence! Lol!

I'll give them a try on Friday and see how I go....will report back

I have tried them a few times with out much success :( and so gave up as there are other baits I have confidence in. They may be the sort of bait that benefits from a pre-baiting campaign.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Well that fills me with confidence! Lol!

I'll give them a try on Friday and see how I go....will report back

I dont see why they shouldnt work as they look a bit like a boilie , you could try colouring them with different food dyes.

I agree with dales in that there are tried and tested baits that will work better , ive tried baked beans on the hook and although i still caught fish it wasnt as succesfull as the sweetcorn or 6mm expanders that i had.

I think its worth trying different things just out of interest to see if fish will take them .

I dont think if i have helped much on the confidence front either :rolleyes:

ps dont let this put you off as it could just turn out to catch you a pb :)

I dont see why they shouldnt work as they look a bit like a boilie , you could try colouring them with different food dyes.

I agree with dales in that there are tried and tested baits that will work better , ive tried baked beans on the hook and although i still caught fish it wasnt as succesfull as the sweetcorn or 6mm expanders that i had.

I think its worth trying different things just out of interest to see if fish will take them .

I dont think if i have helped much on the confidence front either :rolleyes:

ps dont let this put you off as it could just turn out to catch you a pb :)

well the situation is this:

the lake is usually fished with bread or luncheon meat; very occasionally sweetcorn....depending on how the fish are biting.

this time of year they can fish in fits and starts; seeming to be interested in the pellet feed being put in but not touching hookbaits...

im guessing they are gearing up to a good session of spawning..

i was looking for something that might just interest them by being a little bit different.

so what the hell..what harm can it do! :)

looks like tomorrow is going to be s scorcher so it might not be the best of fishing conditions anyway...but will report back on any catches with them

One good thing about chick peas is that they do take on colouring and flavours very well. So you certainly have a good tinker with them to try to improve there pulling power.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I have been looking into them as well, gonna give them a try so let us know how u get on!!!

Martin

To fish or not to fish? That is the question!!!

PB Commom 30lbs (UK)

PB Mirror 27lbs 4oz (UK)

PB Ghost Mirror 15lbs 6oz (UK)

PB Mirror 46lbs 6oz (FRENCH)

Used to use them around 94/95 and they were a great bait. More recently have seen them flavoured in scopex (homemade) to good effect. Worth a try as far as im concerned