Youngs Ray Walton Rolling Pin

Elton

Posted on behalf of Dennis. Please add all replies to this thread:

I am looking for any information,opinions,or reviews on the J.W.Young & sons / Ray Walton Y4050 rolling pin centerpin reel.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I think it’s a reel that does have a place in a very limited capacity. If you need to cast long distances and want to enjoy the benefits of using a ‘pin then it’ll do the job but so will the Shakespeare Lincoln at much lower cost. If you remove either one of those requirements though it’s a pointless buy.

Using it as intended regularly will induce line twist with mono and it’s quite a heavy reel if you want to just trot a float at short medium range. Alternative casting methods will get you there if that’s the case.

If you’re lobbing luncheon meat balls 40 yards every weekend and changing line regularly then perhaps the Walton Rolling Pin is a great way to do it. The Mk2 is an improvement over the first models and they are nicely made, just be sure that you’ll get the use out of it.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

the reel is designed for use with braid and for the specific task of rolling / trundling /freelinning bait along a relatively snag free river bed .and for this perpose its brilliant ,but as said theres better tools for general centrepin fishing techniques .

the MK11 has a improved tuffer turn mechanism ,they make a good ledgering reel ,but only adequate as a trotting reel ,a tad heavy too hold all day (mid range weight wise) if you have shortish thumbs ,the rim could be a stretch .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I've got one: opted for the silver finish rather than the black, maybe 18 months ago.

What you see repeated endlessly on forums about this mythical 'line twist' problem would appear to be just that ... mythical!

On paper / technically, I can understand why people would assume that it would happen, and they then continue to perpetrate this misinformation, often with no actual experience of the reel itself.

I've NEVER experienced this problem (I'm most often using mono around 6 - 8lb, rather than braid). IF it occurred (bearing in mind I'm invariably fishing water with a decent flow), it would be the work of no more than a few minutes to remove end tackle, pay out line with the flow and then retrieve after a couple of minutes. Job done, very little hassle, and so far totally unnecessary!

Quality-wise, it's what you would expect from a reel from the Youngs stable ... a little heavier than some, but I can never really get my head around people having a problem with this ... if I removed my wristwatch, it would make more difference, if that put's it into perspective?

I trot with the reel, and it will perform superbly (but I've other, better - suited reels for the purpose).

Would I buy it as a one-and-only pin? Probably not ... but WHO owns a single pin for long? :D

I liked the look of it and the way it felt in my hand / on a couple of rods. It was made available to me at a brutally competative price ... I bought it! :D

OK ... I confess ... with pins I've been known to admit to tackle-tartitus :D