Big pits or baitrunners

Austin

When I first got back into this fishing game again I originally bought myself some JRC carp rods and a pair of Mitchel avocarp big pit reels to get started, it didn't take long though before i invested in a set of baitrunners but i still have 2 big pit reels that have only been used a few times. Recently I have been wondering if its possible to convert these to a baitrunner type with a bit of jiggery pokery or if i should just leave well enough alone and stick with applying pressure to the spool while i wind up the clutch.

As stupid as it sounds I have had much more joy fishing with the big pits than the baitrunners (my first high double was on them) and i'm wondering if this is due to any particular reason, maybe the fact its easier to haul the line in with the big pits or just the fact i have had more luck when with them and clearly the baitrunenrs have had a gypsy curse placed on them.

So is there a method of converting and would you think its the best thing to do? Whats the general opinion

I wouldn't bother with the conversion if you're capable of dealing with the clutch.

You can get converter caps which replace the drag knobs for Shimano and Daiwa big pit reels but I'm not sure about Mitchells.

Edited by Rob Ward

I wouldn't bother with the conversion if your capable of dealing with the clutch.

You can get converter caps which replace the drag knobs for Shimano and Daiwa big pit reels but I'm not sure about Mitchells.

A very good point i think i'll spool them up properly and give them a whirl on saturday

however i have found a method of changing how fast the drag comes on. IF i change the spring in the caps to a solid olive (the mitchell caps are screw fitted as well) according to the write up i can go from free spool to full drag in a half turn of the cap. The proble i can see with this is that potentially I could end up winding on too much and lose sensitivity

Edited by Austin

do a google search i remember reading an article on big pit bait-runners cant remember who makes them

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

do a google search i remember reading an article on big pit bait-runners cant remember who makes them

There are a few who make them but i have a set of not baitrunner type which i would like to have converted but it seems the conversion is a quick drag rather than a full baitrunner type

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...45#ht_769wt_905

Could you not purchase one of them and pinch the parts of it?

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish