ducks in my pond (welcome or unwelcome guests)

tony tinca

My pond situation is looking good as all the plants and lilies are coming on well but we have a pair of ducks that turned up a few days ago , they only seem to leave the pond area to stretch their wings ,they take turns in doing a full circle of the property before landing very smoothly back in the pond .

Ive done my best to make them feel safe here and i think they might be planning or already nesting in the wild area near the pond , i havent gone looking for a nest as i dont want them to feel threatened and i only walk to within throwing distance of bread and some soaked expander pellets for them .

Ive got a feeling though that the ducks might not be good for the pond , they have already eaten the frogspawn and are probably eating the water snails but does anyone know if they eat fish as im unsure ? also will they damage the water quality with any parasites or their droppings ?

I enjoy them being there and wont push them away but what can i expect in way of damage to water plants and fish ? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Tony

A pair of ducks trash my little pond every year. They did so only recently. They usually reward me, though, by turning up with a dozen or so ducklings a while later. My kids love it :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

So there you have it Tony, a mixed blessing really! The frog-spawn could be a blessing? And they will certainly clear out anything they can see to feed on, but if they do stay the biggest problem for me would be the droppings! These will de-oxygenate the water and it will most certainly suffer. All depends on size of pond and how much they crap really! But not enough I would have thought if they are only two up and the pond is of a reasonable size. How about some pictures?? Mind you having said that wild duck is VERY tasty!! But you do need at least TWO to make a decent meal as they do tend to be quite thin.........:P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))